![]() |
| by pink fingerprint |
Six weeks of research, insurance, doctor calls and referrals and I still don't have a person with a prescription pad to call mine. (update, I do now!)
So, I decided to write a post about it. Not being 'normal' I do the next best thing. I normalize.
prioritize needs
gender, specialty, diagnosis, talk, insurance, cost
See the link above for a post about what each need can mean for who you want in your corner.
start small
So, we're deciding between talking and medicating. Not sure? See link above or go with talking and a therapist. They are compassionate and do not usually have the highest price tag in the bunch. A good therapist will guide a patient to other needed professionals.
make the call
self guided, referral, written prescription
Here is where it can be difficult. Write down a script to reference. Pretend you are a professional if it helps. Don't expect to get everything solved with one phone call. If ever you feel like yelling, exploding, throwing the phone or other understandable reactions put the phone down. Talk to the "ones that got yo back" and take a break. See the link above for more in depth help on whom and where to call first.
cost
There is a hierarchy and the price usually follows it. Under the "start small" link there are two lists of gurus. Generally speaking, I have them listed from low to high. I would work your way from the bottom to the top as needed. If what you've had isn't working, move up. If you've never needed any help before, try the bottom. If you-like me once-are in the blinding haze after a hospitalization, they better have set you up to go.
Do not try to change doctors right after a hospitalization or post-partum. It is simply too much to handle. If completely necessary have someone else do if for you. Your sanity is worth it, believe me.
If you are independently wealthy, please email me for my paypal account and I will bill you for this information.
take your meds
Pretty self explanatory. If for some reason there is ever a discrepancy between the doc saying you didn't and you saying you did, print off your refills from your pharmacy. Online is a wonderful resource. This can also bridge providers and give you something to reference when they start asking questions.
a word from a pro
I also emailed a guest poster on Peanut Gallery Speaks and bugged her about how to find a professional. She was nice enough to write back and also said I could quote her in the link above.
So, that is how we let a small informative post grow into a monster that takes over our life. I hope it helps somebody out there, and so does my family because they want their mommy/wife/guineapigfeeder back! Please pass it on and use it liberally. A mind is a terrible thing to take for granted.

Thanks for writing about mental health with honesty. There's still such a stigma surrounding therapy and meds, which makes not sense considering 75% of my friends use one or the other. I'm a proud lexapro-and-talk therapy kind of gal :-)
ReplyDeleteLots of good information here. Navigating the health system can be a daunting task. Everything is easier once it is broken down into smaller steps!
ReplyDelete