Therapist, Social Worker, Psychologist
If the concerns are that you need help working problems out, consider a therapist. Working up the list it would usually proceed to a social worker and to a psychologist for talk therapy.
If the need is medicinal you have a few more options to consider
General Practitioner, Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatrist
These professionals don't invest a great deal of time in talking. They are concerned with biochemistry and how it is affecting your mental health. Efficiency is paramount, and they use discerning questions to be able to identify any warning signs. They also monitor bloodwork and make sure that the thyroid, liver and kidneys are still healthy.
Sound important? It is! Being on lithium myself means that my liver and kidneys are taking a huge hit for the team. As I said earlier, I was on an anti-depressant instead of an anti-anxiety. It might have still happened, but I doubt it. I expressed concern, and I mentioned key personal history items that are neon warning signs to me in hindsight.
So, to refresh, we're deciding between talking and medicating. Not sure? Go with talking and a therapist. They are compassionate and do not usually have the highest price tag in the bunch. A good therapist will guide a patient to other needed professionals.

Comments
Post a Comment
I reply to comments in email. Email me at
journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.