![]() |
| By Distressed Jewell |
Intuition is born from introspection
whereas
Emotion is born from reflection
I've been exploring intuitive eating, and found that I cannot hear what my body wants for all the emotional constipation I've got going on disguised as cravings. So I decided to listen.
For my emotions, I've been trying to clap out a few eclectic lines whenever I feel the urge to eat. Especially when it gets all consuming and I feel compelled. You know. The kind when I feel like I might tear my hair out, scream, and claw desperately at the walls unless I have some cake.
I realize that some of you may-like I-be under the impression that this is normal.
Actually, I've found quite ecstatically that it is not. When this happens and my children have all run away and hid, I have found it useful to give myself a small portion of whatever it is that I am certain I have to have or the world will be destroyed. Because it is not easy for me to feel like the world will not be destroyed if I don't.
This has been a two edged sword. I gained weight. But, I strongly feel that if I had not been in a strong place mental healthwise, it would have been disastrous. I wouldn't recommend this. Nope. People would have to convince me they were prepared and capable before I truly agreed with them.
The thing that I was very strict about doing was writing out my feelings. Whenever I felt absolutely overwhelmed, I was sure to sit down and write for five minutes without thinking too much about it. It resolved a great deal of repetitive cycles that were absurd.
It also allowed my my first real glimpse at intuitive eating. I found myself wanting celery. I wanted the water, the fiber, and the crunch. I suspect I was also craving the minerals and such. I didn't even want any dip. Just celery.
Just thought I'd let you know. It's happening more often. Make sure you're aware, wouldn't want to disturb anyone. You've been warned. Watch out for unicorns, I'm certain their trailing after soon.

Good for you!!! :) That's awesome progress. :)
ReplyDeleteyou had me at intuitive eating.
ReplyDeleteThe very last thing that this journey is about is being perfect0 I'm glad you are being flexible with yourself and learning things along the way!
ReplyDeleteAware? What a concept. It means coming out of my fog. I think it is time, watch out...I'm coming, oh, I see a unicorn. :)
ReplyDeleteI think you've touched on the very reason why so many intuitive eaters gain before they lose... gotta clear out all the other junk to see that it's both OK to feel and to be hungry. Very nicely put here.
ReplyDeleteOk, so where are you looking into this? Because I am quite interested. But when I put things into Google, so much information comes up, and we all know it isn't all good.
ReplyDeleteThis is very helpful encouragement! I am scared of intuitive eating, as my intuition is always to eat! But this is something I've been thinking about getting back to. I appreciate your journey!
ReplyDeletePoetic!! I remember the first few times I realized that I was eating intuitively...my body wanted cabbage and cauliflower and cottage cheese. Raspberries, mango, and bananas. Peanut butter on a very thin slice of bread. With bananas. Plain Greek yogurt with raspberries and walnuts. Cauliflower with curry. Good, plain, nutritious food. And yeah, sometimes my I think my body wants mac and cheese from a box, and then I eat some and realize, no freakin' way!
ReplyDeleteWow. I am again awed and inspired by my friend.
ReplyDeletethis is fascinating. i don't get it?
ReplyDeleteI love love love this post.
ReplyDeleteThat was lovely, thank you so much!
ReplyDelete