Skip to main content

When You Get to the End of Your Rope



I have a new worry. I hate to share it, because I feel like I've already sucked up more than my fair portion of the blogosphere's empathy. You are all so supportive, and I care about you. I hate to hurt people I care about. Besides, saying it out loud makes it worse.

The hard truth is that Chickadee is not done regressing. She has experienced two major regressions, and I thought this last one was over. Observing her the past week I've realized she's not done.

Three weeks ago she was walking thirty feet with two hands held. Like an almost toddler. I now have to coax her to go three feet. She is also having a hard time sitting with her feet out in front of her, what her therapists call ring sitting. She can only sit that way for 5 minutes or so before she falls over. It was pretty indefinite a week ago.

This means she's less mobile. That, coupled with the facts that the gastroenterologist we saw yesterday told me has made today a hard day. Chickadee faces a poop bag, a permanent feeding tube, and a fundoplication if she gets much worse.

For now we can keep her off all of these things. This doctor is on the cutting edge of medicine where this is concerned. I'm so grateful. He was actually part of the team of researchers that tested out the drug she will be on, and there is really no other option. I'm happy there is still something left to do. But the reality is that they are looming in my future. I'm horrified that fiber, probiotics, and increased fluid intake will have no effect on an apraxic intestinal tract (lacking muscle tone). The result is just like the play dough spaghetti toy. It is important to keep up the fiber, fluids and probiotics, of course.

But it's like a band-aid for a broken arm.

So, what I'm hoping to focus on instead is what we CAN do now.
  1. We tease
  2. We negotiate
  3. We eat joyfully
  4. We Poop
  5. We stand
  6. We snuggle
  7. We know colors
  8. We like music
  9. We kiss
  10. We Love
I'm not in shock anymore, and I've blown denial to bits. If she can handle this, with a pouty lip and a few days of shrieking. Then I can get my exercise done and put on my makeup and clean up my house a little. What are you inspired to do?

**********************************************************************************
Please note that there is a widget installed at the top of my blog allowing you to vote to give $250K in research money for Rett Syndrome, the disabling condition that Chickadee has. Please visit my site to click through if you are reading through FeedBurner.

If you are reading from Reader, you can click on this link to VOTE

You can sign up for daily reminders HERE

Comments

  1. you positively amaze and inspire me! how do you do all this and still find time to help wake me up?!?!

    You are a great friend and a great person and I just thought you should know!
    xox, jeninRL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to you and your sweet family. I am so proud to call you my Friend. You must know there are alot of prayers said on your families' behalf.

    Keep focusing on the positive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I don't know you personally, I feel I know you through your blogging, and you so inspire me. And I am sure countless others!

    You may not realize what a wonderful inspiration you are to all of us! I just wanted you to know. And I wanted you, little Chickadee, and your whole family, are uplifted in prayers daily by so many of us!

    Keep up the faith! For you are our inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am inspired, because of your example, to get through today without the internal complaining I've been doing, and making a choice to consciously refocus on the positive . . . like my friend JBS does. =)

    You are, bar none, the best mommy Chickadee could ever have, and I know she gives you so very much too. You guys are an awesome team, and I just feel privileged you continue to share with us and encourage us to stretch beyond what we thought we could . . . because you do.

    I Love You, Woman! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am inspired to continue to love you and read your blog!!! You remind me to ALWAYS keep my head up. You're so strong, even when it hurts and when it's scary!!! I'm praying for you and your sweet family....RIGHT NOW!!! June 23rd..my new favorite day!!!

    p.s. This song that I am listening to just said, "Our God is Healer...awesome in POWER!" This is my prayer!!! Continue to hold on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for the problems you are facing. It's good to see that you are looking at the brighter things in life.

    You will be in my prayers. XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. you guys inspire me
    im soooooooooooo sorry she has regressed
    i know how it feels to see regression

    i hope you dont blame yourself like i tend to do all the time

    if ya need to talk ya know where to find me

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to agree with what the others have said, you inspire me to be a better person and to see the bright side of each day and each situation I find myself in.

    I continue to lift you, your family and your health care team up in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You will make it Good things will come, either here or after just stay strong love and feel loved and know that we all came for some reason to help or be helped in this journey. You inspre me each day.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nczw6xHJ0I

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that is all so scary. You have so much strength. What a great mommy you are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tie a knot and hold on, to all of the things you are holding on to. Prayers for both of you, sweetie. (I have something for you on my blog, too)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your outlook truly amazes me. Don't ever feel bad about sharing this struggle with the blog world. We here to help in the itty bitty way we can. Writing your feeling is so important as well. I don't know the right words to say, but my heart really does go out to you and your family. You are a brave, strong, and very inspiring woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am inspired to look at the good things thanks to you. Appreciate more and love lots. You show that and you are a wonderful example and inspirtation to all of us.
    Hope comes to mind as well.
    Faith in your brilliant doctor.
    Appreciate, inspire, hope and have faith.
    Love ya!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are fantastic. All that you do, and all that you say, and all that you are to that beautiful Chickadee is not only inspiring but a true gift. Hang in there. We'll help to hold the metaphorical rope secure for you from cyber space ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my sweet sweet one. Big hug and kiss for you and little Chickadee.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your comment on my blog. :) I just tagged you on a new post. Come see.
    http://tracitreasures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know, getting a text from you every morning just about makes my day.
    (((Hugs to you)))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I love you so much!! You are amazing. Today I'm inspired to try and be sweet and loving to those who need it. :3

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are a strong woman. I love all the positives that you are focusing on. You are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing with us.

    Off to vote!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...