
I have many memories of Easter Hunts. My dad would hide our baskets. Everything was in the house because I lived in a northern clime. So, they would line up the candies on the mantle, window ledges, doorway woodwork, you get the picture.
But, we had to bypass these treats to find our baskets first. A couple of times the combination of Mom + Dad = disaster. We had an old house with heat vents that were seriously 1' x 1'. Dad put mine down the vent once. Then he and mom decided they were cold and forgot about my basket. I couldn't find my basket, so by the time my slobbery eyes were wiped clean and Dad fished out my basket everything was melted. Boo-Hoo.
At least we divided the candy equally. Then played 'store' for hours trading for the things we loved. It was pretty much a gorge fest. My mother tried half-heartedly to limit our intake.
Grandma didn't help.
This year, I will watch the serving sizes. I won't eat more than my 'fair share'. I will be partaking.
Moderately. What about you? If not Easter then what do you do about sweets in general. I'm a recovering addict and I appreciate any hints or help.
For now, I'm hunting for the treats I deem 'worth' my dailymiles sweat equity. It won't be much.
We did candy when the kids were younger but nothing now. So no temptation for me today:)
ReplyDeleteI cannot handle moderation yet. Someday I hope. For now, avoidance is best. Sigh.
Evil scale belonging to MIL says=201.0lbs.
ReplyDeleteThat would be a 1 pound gain.
I'm not happy. Of course, I may be wearing 1 lb extra in clothes, or TOM could be contributing, but that's just excuses.
BLECH.
Hi JBS - I was an only child and don't remember having egg hunts or basket hunts at home, but certainly do recall fun ones at school, church, etc. We gave our kids some good hunts!
ReplyDeleteI had a dream about you last night! No lie - I dreamed you were on the cover of Woman's World magazine, and I looked for your "post" and it wasn't there. How weird! I guess you've gotten into my subconscious! Have a great holiday with your little gaggle of birdies.
What a pity about the melted chocolate!
ReplyDeleteMy kids are grown and I didn't make baskets for them this year. Instead we went out for breakfast this morning as a holiday treat.
I will be making a nice dinner for us tomorrow and we will have some kind of dessert that will be "lighter."
I have lower sugar indulgences when I want them. I eat dark chocolate on a regular basis, a couple times a week. I don't feel deprived in any fashion that way.
I find if I have dessert right after a meal it has less of an impact on my blood sugar and is less likely to lead to a craving for more. Over time, I have lost my taste for high sugar overly sweet foods.
I also don't like to waste calories on things that don't taste incredible! After all, I deserve only the best!