Skip to main content

Work in Progress


So the trip to the hospital was stressful. I got into my car in the parking garage, and I just wanted to start crying all the sudden. It's a lot to handle. Up all night with a poor little kid that doesn't want their head taped up anymore or that stupid wire box trailing behind them like a tail. To top it all off I scheduled a communication evaluation when the VEEG was finished. You know, save the 7 hour round trip and an entire day spent. Two fer one. I wanted to cry like somebody had died.

I had no idea I'd been feeling like that the whole time.

On the way home I slid of the road twice. It was surreal. I'm steering one way, and the car is sliding off the road. Seriously. At least I had the 'non'-sense not to brake. Two semis behind me and a whole train of cars. I was in the left lane, and I slid onto the shoulder. I tried to get back on the road, but I slid off again.

I have no idea how I stayed on the shoulder. I'm really glad I did.

I saw six slide-offs once I started going again. I was shaking so bad. I hadn't really gotten breakfast. (I tried to be as healthy as I could with the snack cabinet. We were leaving too early to order, and the cafeteria wasn't that healthy anyway.) I went to Dairy Queen. I know. Given my earlier Holy Cow Calorie Moment how could I do that?

Well, I don't know. I had cake Saturday. More than I want to admit. I am ashamed.

I'm not saying that it's okay for me to have too much cake. It wasn't. But I am saying I forgive myself. Driving is not learned by being shown the perfect way with an instructor in the passenger seat. Walking is learned by painstaking and predictable patterns building up the muscles and coordination over months of trial and all ERROR. Becoming a master of anything takes patience, perseverance and PRACTICE. Especially becoming master of one's self.

All I'm saying is that I handled this better than I ever could have before.

“I don't know if I continue, even today, always liking myself. But what I learned to do many years ago was to forgive myself. It is very important for every human being to forgive herself or himself because if you live, you will make mistakes- it is inevitable. But once you do and you see the mistake, then you forgive yourself and say, 'well, if I'd known better I'd have done better,' that's all. So you say to people who you think you may have injured, 'I'm sorry,' and then you say to yourself, 'I'm sorry.' If we all hold on to the mistake, we can't see our own glory in the mirror because we have the mistake between our faces and the mirror; we can't see what we're capable of being. You can ask forgiveness of others, but in the end the real forgiveness is in one's own self. I think that young men and women are so caught by the way they see themselves. Now mind you. When a larger society sees them as unattractive, as threats, as too black or too white or too poor or too fat or too thin or too sexual or too asexual, that's rough. But you can overcome that. The real difficulty is to overcome how you think about yourself. If we don't have that we never grow, we never learn, and sure as hell we should never teach.”
-Maya Angelou

Comments

  1. Just reading this post made me break out in a cold sweat. How terrifying...the drive, the hospital experience...all of it. I am glad you are home now. I am sure you will nourish yourself well tomorrow..and get back into your normal routine.

    Did you get any results when you were there, or do those come later after docs analyze it and such? Sending good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hear the exhaustion in your words. I hope the tests give you the needed info. Glad you are home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you made it through that day - both the drive and the hospital. I'm hoping that you will get your results soon.

    You are 100% right - it takes practice to feel comfortable making the right choices. Even with years of practice behind me I still make the wrong choices sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a draining couple of days...physically, emotionally, and mentally. I think it's important to forgive ourselves when we slip and eat too much cake. After all you just went through, I think you are doing exceptionally well. I hope you get some much needed rest and receive the test results quickly. Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can honestly say that some sort of food probably would have been my consolation after a day like that. You're only human and as I keep telling myself it's about progress and not perfection. The fact that you realized what you did and why you did it is definite progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want to give you a big hug! You are a woman trying very hard to be a super woman (because you have super challenges on your plate) and it's just not humanly possible. Thank God you are OK. I cannot picture a more stressful day, yet you got through it successfully. So sit right down, right this minute, and give yourself huge accolades for getting through it! Dairy Queen be damned, it's barely a blip on the radar screen, today you can nurture yourself in a way that you deserve!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Today is a new day. What has really helped me through the stress is a low key AM yoga dvd....

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sound so tired, but I can also hear that the fight hasnt gone out of you! Good for you! So glad you made it safely, how scary sliding off the road like that and then the hospital. Loved the "letter" at the end of your post! Stay positive and Im praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praise the Lord he brought you home safely! Sounds scary.
    Great attitude in forgiving yourself. Beating yourself up only perpetuates the cycle.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Greta from www.bigbottomblogger.blogspot.com- It was terrifying. I'm glad it's over too. There is much to be said for cocooning in bed. The results won't be back until Friday. I'l keep you posted!

    @ Fit Mommy- thank you. I've been recuperating all weekend. I appreciate your thoughts.

    @ Diane Fit to the Finish- I hope so too. I'm glad to have blogs like yours to help me have an idea of how to achieve it and then maintain it long term.

    @ Lisa "One Mom's Weight Loss"- I'm trying. Thanks for being a great cyber friend. I'm spinning my cocoon as we speak.

    @ Helen- I'm hoping to build up my resistance. This isn't going to be the last time. I appreciate your comment!

    @ Jackie Callahan- *hug* Thanks. I needed that. And your positive words. You are incredibly affirmative. I gave myself a pedicure today.

    @ Nikki- I think I might try that. Any good recommendations?

    @ Kristina- :) You are like liquid sunshine. I appreciate your prayers, and especially your brilliant positive attitude.

    @ KatDoesDiets- I know right? I've never been so grateful in my life. Thanks for being nice in your words. They are as warm as the *hug*.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love you!! I wish I were there to help somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. glad you got home safely
    hopefully the test come back with the info you need

    ReplyDelete
  13. {{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}


    I can hear the exhaustion and stress oozing from this post. But I'm glad you are choosing to forgive yourself.

    I honestly never feel ashamed for eating whatever I want. Maybe I should? I don't know. Food is not a moral. If I make a decision that will not result in weight loss. Big whoop. Sometimes I AM embarrassed to admit to others what I've been eating, because I worry about what other people may think. But as far as what I think about myself...eating cake is not going to change it!

    I know I'm different on this. I think this is perhaps part of the reason I'm such a terrible dieter.

    I'm hope that you will get some stress relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Anonymous- if you are my seester, then I love you. And I wish I had funds at my disposal to make it so. If not, then it would still be a welcome help. But then I would have to kill you. You're not allowed to know who I am AND that I'm crazy.

    @BEE- Thank you. You're an inspiration.

    @Michelle- *melting* thank you. This is a wonderful stress relief. You cyber friends really help me a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...