Skip to main content

Edits From the Sister Diaries

My Daughters "Helping" With Lights


*my sisters {married in or otherwise stuck with me} and my mom are fabulous.  We keep in touch with an online private journal. I found myself updating with some things that I thought might be amusing. Who am I kidding, I want to make more people laugh with my corny jokes.*

I’m happy to report that the visit to the Rett Syndrome Natural History Study went much better this time.  I think it had something to do with the fact that I broke my iphone and had to take books to entertain Chickadee.  Wouldn’t you know she chose the Cinderella book with dress-up veil and gloves attached?

It’s hard to think that a girl happily absorbed in her book and enthusiastically interacting with anyone commenting about her book was “uninterested in her world” like they said last time.  Plus a few props like a veil and elbow gloves never hurt to make a pink wheelchair occupant even more adorable.  She finds strangers so much more relatable when they're addressing her as Princess after all.

Browny*-the guinea pig-has worked her magic on Sprout.  Whatever was making him feel unheard, unnoticed, or even bullied at school has faded into the background as his confidence jumps forward.  I am so completely relieved.

We even took Browny to North Carolina.  The only place she could fit was shotgun since Mr. Survival had already gone to NC two weeks before.  She jumped on top of her house and sat pointing into the wind like a dog, desperate to see what was coming next.  She makes us all laugh.  At breakfast, Browny runs laps around her house faster and faster for at least a mile, occasionally having an excited twitch that looks something like a mid-air split second seizure.  I challenge anyone breathing not to see that without laughing until they cough on their own spit.  Browny is hoping that the kids will finish early enough that they can cuddle her for a little bit. They often do.

Miss is reading [and worse, comprehending] at the fifth grade level.  Mr. Survival has taken her on two dates to get new books.  Both times, I have confiscated it and breezed through it only to find it is completely inappropriate.  Really?  YA fiction talks about bodkins?  And spells out what they are explicitly?  And how they are used!  I DON’T THINK SO!   Not for my eight year old anyway.

I tell you this because Miss-master of all planners-brought only her 22 page Faith in God for Girls  pamphlet for the NC trip.  By the time we reached the South Side of SmallTown, she was already driving me CRAZY.  So I pulled into Wal-Mart.  I searched high and low.  There was nothing I’d already read which would keep her interested for a twelve hour drive, that she hadn't already read.

Until I saw it.  Mom.  You can look away now.  Sir Fartsalot.  Yes.  I knew that whilst my drive would be riddled with potty humor, at least my daughter wouldn’t be taught how to hate her body image or how men lust after young women.  By giggling over farts and the city of Armpit.

Okay.  Mom, you can read again.  We’re doing good.  We’re loving life.  Slightly stressed, deliriously happy and running around to medical appointments as if they were paying us to go.  We miss you all.

*****

luminousweb
Hullooooo from luminousweb!!  :D  Apparently there’s a Google chat feature embedded in GoogleDocs.  Who knew?  D:  Sorry, JBS.  Also, directed at JBS, I looked up bodkin because of your post.  It doesn’t look so bad, it’s just a dagger or needle, right?  Why did you not like Miss learning that?

JBS
Because I actually meant codpiece. (mom don’t click on that one)  Sorry.  Hee heee hee.  It’s not [very] funny, but you trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with a bodkin is.

*real name, please respect her privacy
**photo credit

Comments

  1. I was all ready to type a happy-insightful comment until I hovered over that word "codpiece". That is entertainment to me. And please say hi to Browny for me? I'm so happy that she magical for the Sprout.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...