Yesterday was all about money.
Money, money, money, money.
It started in the morning. I went out to get the mail after a night of very little sleep. (Chickadee is on one of her many sleep deprivation benders) There were bills.
I came inside and sorted it through. Chickadee's hospital bill ringing in at over $18,000. Wow. Thank goodness for insurance, and the $5,000 deductible already being met. Who'd have thought that I'd be grateful for all that expensive testing, eh?
Next I saw the receipt on the table from Chickadee's delivery service the night before. The Medical Supplies deliveries. It's the first time delivered since she's had the pump supplies. Guess what. It now costs $1,800 a month to feed my child. Holy woah wow. Thank goodness for medical necessity, and insurance.
Then I opened a letter from my insurance. They're increasing our premiums. For now it's only $50 a month. Let's hope they're really really bad at math. Because they've lost between $5,000-10,000 each of the past two years on Chickadee alone. D'oh. I'm now very stressed over how high our premiums will go over the next while.
Mr. Survival and I talked, and we're feeling more and more tied here. Before we can move anywhere I've got to make sure all her services are already in place. Especially medical supplies, and insurance. I know if I were reading this blog post from the outside, I'd be thinking "Duh" right before I patted me on the back. It does seem elementary doesn't it? But I am seriously developing into this mother as this child develops.
I've usually been able to pack up a bag for a kid and call it good. I've even been able to take Chickadee pretty much anywhere so far. I'm still planning on hauling her everywhere as much as she can tolerate, because that's our life. With my family in Utah and his family in North Carolina we travel a lot. Because family is really important to us.
Anyway. I then went to the dentist. I have bruxism. Really really bad. C'mon. Are any of us really surprised that a bipolar mother of a Rett Syndrome daughter that just out of the hospital has bruxism? No. I also broke my mouth guard. $300. Then miss THANG got three cavities. She was devastated. Mr. Survival was too. But, they've been there ever since we decided we were rich enough to go to the dentist 2 1/2 years ago. She's done a great job in 8 years and never had one yet. So, she is awesome. Just. Kind of expensive.
Our insurance doesn't cover dental.
Ha! Oh. Excuse me. I thought I was alone over here with my maniacal laugh.
So. If you all have a tree in the backyard-the kind that grows money in all kinds of weather-we could use one over here. Luckily we are still okay. Whew.
But, we're starting to get to the point where we're not going to be okay. Mr. Survival got up this morning with Chickadee at midnight thirty. Also at one thirty and it would have kept going, but he got up and started researching every conceivable company that his skill set could benefit. Until four thirty whereupon his wife came down and sought out his company. Because his warm solid chest is the only thing that blocks out Chickadee when she's having a party.
That and the box fan that was also downstairs with my husband.

Wow. I am with you. Your day makes mine look like a walk in the park (I actually had a good day). I wish there was something I could do for you.
ReplyDeleteI guess just knowing we are here with you helps a bit?
we're so with ya! we're doing okay *for right now* too...thanks to insurance. looking to go back to mba school (um, hello no job and lots of debt!) and trying to figure out services, therapies and school in a new place...with student insurance. it makes my stomach churn. i'll let you know if we happen upon one of those money trees. and your fam is in utah? so is mine! small world. :)
ReplyDeleteUg, I hate dealing with money. I'd rather let my husband take care of all of it, and he tells me what I can spend.
ReplyDeleteIf I ever win the lottery, I'll set up a trust fund for your family so you don't have to sweat the non-covered stuff. I promise you that. But I have to win first!
Money problems are so stressful! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteHow you had time to find me, read my post and leave a comment with all that you have going on I find amazing. I just spent the better part of an hour reading all about your life and I have to say my dear you have your hands full in more ways then one. I am sorry that life is hard, life is more then not fair. You guys have done so well with your wee ones no matter the issues. I know I can't do anything to help you all but I can say a prayer for you and your family. I will stop back and check on you and hope that life finds a calm easier approch in the coming weeks. Take care my new friend. God Bless you.
ReplyDeleteWhen it rains it pours. I wishing more sunshine your way. You are doing amazing with all that is on your plate.
ReplyDeleteWendy
Yeah, medical bills are scary! I just got the bill for Jelly Bean's tumor removal - $7000! And that was just one part! I can't imagine how hard it must be with something as extensive as Chickadee's condition! (hugs honey!)
ReplyDeletenothing more than xo xo xo.
ReplyDeleteIt sucks (the technical term) that money can rule so much of our lives and I get my hackles up (see? im a part canine misfit) when people say MONEY CANT BUY HAPPINESS.
It cant but damn it can make navigating the road there far more smooth.
Carla
Wow. Oh sister my sister, you are amazing and I'm sorry about the money. If the situation calls for it, I'll grab my broom and fend these people off as best I can while you and your family run for the hills, sound like a plan? Truffle's got your flank.
ReplyDeleteI wish I could hug you right now. <3