Skip to main content

Results




After every test comes a result. In high school my favorite test was one with high marks and no special attention from the teacher. Why? It meant I did my job, did it well, and did it myself.

Being a middle child, I've found that the best way for me to get along is to skate under the radar. I could get pretty much anything I wanted if I just waited until everyone around me was fighting over something. Then while they were distracted by each other, I could sneak the very thing they all wanted. They'd blame each other later too.

Chickadee doesn't follow my example. Come to think of it, none of my children do. Too bad. But Chickadee often seems to demand everyone's full attention.

The sleep study we did before? I called the doctor for the results. The nurse called me back quite concerned. That's never a good sign. Medical professionals are trained to calm worried parents down.

So when she started reading to me over the phone, "Sleep disruptions mmmm mmmmm mmmmmm, moderate to severe mmmm mmmm mmmmmmm mmmmm mmmmm, apnea and disturbances mmmmm mmmm mmmmmmmmm, leading to a diagnosis mmmmm mmmmmmm mmmm mmmmmmm, and we should get something done right away" It wasn't good. Then, she proceeded to call me four or five times in the next hour. BAD. Very bad.

Everyone knows that nurses don't have time for that. She referred me to ENT, (Ear, Nose, and Throat) for surgery. She called the Developmental Pediatrician, the doctor she works for. She called her twice, but seemed concerned that the doctor was out at a satellite location and might not call back right away. Then, the ultimate evil mojo was when she called me back and said, "I just talked to the doctor on call..." Holy guacamole. You don't do that. Never ever do that.

I kept telling myself that they'd never have let us leave the hospital if the test was so horrible. That they have someone look over the results quickly before we leave. That it wasn't, couldn't possibly be that bad...

The nurse continued, "and she doesn't think it looks so bad that we need to see her today." I may have swallowed my tongue. "But ENT should call back today [Friday] or Monday and set up an appointment with you. I'm pretty sure that is the direction the doctor is going to want to go. The tonsils and adenoids need to come out before we try anything else..." I was in a state of slushy antifreeze. I walked comatose to tell Mr. Survival. I called my mother. I tried not to cry.

The thing is that I never feel like I have appropriate justification to lose it with Rett Syndrome. Because this is something that has been on the Realm of Possibilities sheet since a year ago when the Pulmonary Pediatrician diagnosed Chickadee with mild apnea and warned us that this winter she might need her tonsils out to keep it in check.

So I stuffed it down and tried to Deal along with moving, money, joblessness, and other adventures.

I ate ice cream.

That is how I dealt. Ice cream. Too much of it. Many times. Right now, I want to push aside the computer and go get some, like I did all day Friday and Saturday. I don't want to talk about it. I want to pretend it isn't going to happen. I want it all to go away.

Ice cream has a smothering effect on reality.

Sigh.

I honestly don't know what to try to do anymore. I don't know what "better" is going to be in my life right now. I know better eating is easily in the realm of possibilities. But beyond that? I don't want to set myself up to be disappointed in not meeting goals. I don't know what is realistic.

This is not a crisis. This is my life. But I can't seem to stop acting like it's a crisis!

Thank you for donating for Chickadee's service dog.

Comments

  1. I love you so much! I'm sorry. I wish I were there to help. It's a lot to deal with, and you're doing the best that you can. That's all anybody should expect, including yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GIRL YOU ARE STILL DOING FAR BETTER THAN MOST OF US (RAISES HAND) WOULD BE DOING IN YOUR SHOES.

    Youre strong resilient loving caring constantly motivating others and amazing.

    Yesterday is over.
    Ice cream. SCHMICE CREAM.
    it's a new day.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. HUGS! I wish I knew what to say! I will say that I understand the ice cream and you're right it does have a smothering effect on reality!

    I cannot even begin to know what your life feels like. But I can relate to being stuck and wanting reality NOT to be reality.

    And I would love to kick that nurses a@@ because I feel like she contributed to this feeling like a crisis. She should have read the file and talked with the Dr's BEFORE she spoke with you about all this!

    Big Hugs to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, that nurse is a ninnyhead for making you worry like that. She should have talked to the doc first before she talked to you. I say throw the ice cream at HER. She certainly deserves it.

    When I started losing weight I was terrified of making goals. I'd failed so many times before, that the idea of failing again made me want instantly give up. I said to myself my goal is to get healthier. Be healthier. If weight came off, great. If not, then at least I *felt* healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've stopped making goals and started living life. Unfortunately life includes nincompoop nurses. Ice cream is sometimes warranted but it doesn't have to go on forever. Today is a new day with a multitude of possibilities in front of you. Seize a good one and run with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ::hugs:: Kudos to you for going and getting the sleep study done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Instant calming technique:

    1. Continue breathing...deep belly breaths.
    2. Unlock your posture.
    3. Soften your eyes.
    4. Acknowledge reality; there is a lot of power in "yes."
    5. Mobilize your best and understand that "your best" will change depending on any number of circumstances.

    Repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I have been pondering the issue of setting goals for myself that I just can't reach right now. I set a goal or two a month or so ago, thinking they were totally doable, but at this point I just am not able to get myself there. And I am left feeling like a failure. Which perpetuates behavior that moves me further from said goals. It is a vicious cycle. I say you do what is within your realm of possibility, be proud of yourself for holding that much together, and just figure out which balls you can drop and feel good about your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh girl patience this too shall pass or become the next normal. This has got to be so hard to handle I am sure. Remmeber some nurses do thrive on shock factor when they themselves get a shock factor themselves. I can only say this cause I live with one who is calm and hates it when girl nurses get into drama.
    But there will be a lesson that is to be learned and let that one and only Heavenly Father carry you in the pain of it all.

    Lets look at ice cream as a good dose of healthy calcium that you have now given your bone structure and go run burn the sugar off then it just wont matter that you ate it anyway. Your doing an amazing job in the face of all this turmoil. You will make it through this one more hard thing that has been handed to your family. Hugs keep smiling because then endourphens(sp sorry) will bouy you up, by the way you have a beautiful smile it has just got to rise the levels more then normal since its so beautiful.;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. sometimes going through the motions in crisis mode is the only way to get through. sending good thoughts and lots of love from california. now go eat some ice cream because you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry that you've had so much on your plate (and I don't mean ice cream). I know this doesn't help much, but my son had all of this last year, sleep test, mild apnea and t and a out. But, I know it is different, he was older and doesn't have Retts. Know that we are with you, even when you feel so crummy and in crisis.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...