Skip to main content

Hot Date

Venice couple
Mr. Survival and I had an awesome hot date last night.

Can you believe he got creative?  I know.  I can't either.  Not because he isn't creative.  No, just because we live in a 2 1/2 horse town and we've eaten in every restaurant at least two times.  Even the really crappy ones.  We don't even eat out that often.

It's just hard to be a creative dater when the biggest Friday night attraction is Target.

But last night, Mr. Survival had a brilliant flash of genius.  It's cold here.  Like "high of 13 degrees" cold.  The kids have had two hour delays twice this week.  Yup.  Solely for wind chill factors and frostbite possibilities in bus stop waiting times.

So, we don't really want to be dashing in and out of the car.  Opening the door makes the inside of my nose start to constrict as it all freezes in there.  The first year I lived here the winter was like this.  I remember being shocked at seeing a pedestrian in the Spring.  People actually live here, and not just live in shuttle pods.  Whodathunk?

Mr. Survival swung us through a drive-thru.  I picked water and a healthier option.  He picked whatever he wants because his metabolism is catching up with him and Drat! He's gained two pounds.  Then we drove across the street and he parked as close as possible to the front doors of a grocery store.

I lept inside and picked up my reserved Redbox selection, and lept back out.

Here's the brilliant part:  we parked.  We went to a pretty little park that usually has hoodlums lurking about, and guess what?  No hoodlums!  Then Mr. Survival put a wool blanket on the back seat, turned on the movie and had dinner and a movie.  It's days like these when I am at peace with being forced into a minivan.

It was totally awesome if you were there.

Hey.  What's your most creative date?

-Photo Credit
Thank you for donating for Chickadee's service dog.

Comments

  1. OH MY GOSH I LOVE THAT IDEA JBS!!!!!

    we are always looking for new fun creative (and around here cheap, err, frugal) ideas.

    including a movie? always a bonus for this couple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband has been told the White man's date is "dinner and a movie", in a MINIVAN, just takes it that much further.
    And, for the record, I live just outside of Washington D.C., not a 2 1/2 horse town and a hot date can still involve Target on a Friday night....because we are old and boring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FABULOUS! (And the photo up there made me crack up.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an awesome date! How sweet! I have planned our last two dates, one of those being a getaway for our 12th anniversary, so the next date has to be Hubby. I am currently playing the "let's wait quietly and see if he is planning a Valentine's Day something" game. He doesn't like Valentine's day, and normally doesn't plan it unless I make him, but this year? I want him to do it because he knows I want it, and not because I am harping on him to do it. We'll see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photo you posted! Cudos (sp?) to your husband on his idea! What a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh the ideas are starting to churn in my brain. I will get back to you on this! Of course I will be the planer this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we used to go to Chili's and Borders and Target - that was a spectacularly HOT date night! Now we is cheap..or broke. or frugal, whatever you want to call it - my daughter will go to her friend's house for a sleepover and we will picnic and movie right in the living room floor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fantastic! We don't have anything that comes close to that innovation. I love it. And three cheers for mini vans ....

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a sweet idea. Kudo's for Mr. Survival for planning your awesome date!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is lovely! Wish my hubby was that creative!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your husband is AWESOME!!! Love that idea. And I am in love with my minivan so it fits perfectly, I think I'm going to steal this idea but of course I'll give props! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet idea! It's the simple things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. For the record, my husband and I just went on a date (it was in a traditional restaurant, although I did tell my kids about your mini van date and they suggested we take their new movie "The Princess and the Frog" and go to the drive thru for dinner). We had a nice dinner and then stopped at Target on the way home because I had to get some Valentines for the kids. It was priceless and I kept thinking about you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sooo, what you're really saying here is that you chicka-bow-wow'd in the back of a minivan. SCORE! And Mr. Survival even evacuated the all hoodlums. Niiice one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, I'm so glad you guys were able to get out of the house and have some alone time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tonight we are going to have a Family Home Evening date. We are eating dinner under the table with a tent blanket over the top and the big screen TV set on the floor. Watching a netflix movie that came in the mail. It will be an oldy but goody and the kids have to watch it too. We have to share the date because the pretty girl said she already let us go up north to stay in a hotel Friday night and have dinner at a Paruvian resturant by State st. and then spend the day watching the C boy wrestle for State. We even got to go hot tubing which is a first in about 8 years, wow two hotel stays in a couple of months without kids not sure how to handle myself these days.
    One of these weekends when its finally warm around here I have a plan to make a lunch and take him up to sit by the side of the river and watch the geese maybe we can catch a few pictures to show off, meaning spring really is getting near. Of course we will have to do a little work cleaning out the head of our ditch while we are up there since the Hubby can't be totally relaxed if there is farm work near to be done. So glad you had a hot date min. your deserve it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...