Skip to main content

To Thine Own Self Be True

Unique Heart

I've been evaluating my blogging.

Mr. Survival is increasingly 'around' and it is difficult to blog when he is hovering. I do a significant amount of staring off into space, and then madly typing away. It's apparently hard to resist the impulse to see what I'm up to, and I'm self conscious while creating. Chickadee increasingly demands mama be Present, and the recommendation of the doctor to socialize demands I be present as well. My other two children need mama when they are home. Essentially, my blogging time is getting whittled down to nothing.

I've watched MrsFatass in her parallel family cocoon. I've chatted with MizFit silent tween scream and faint and read the wisdom of YumYucky and her links. I've skimmed tweets in spite of myself and family.

Bottom line?


  1. Blogging and the social networking involved takes too much time.
  2. My family relationships are more important than blogging
  3. Blogging about my weight loss has sometimes devolved into self hate.
  4. I want to be loving in my life relationships with
  • Myself
  • Family
  • human beans
Hence the conundrum I spent the entire two weeks' vacation mulling over.

To blog?  Or not to blog...


-photo credit

Please remember to donate for Chickadee's therapy dog.

Comments

  1. Being a human bean myself, and this being the main way I learn about you (along with the social media), I vote to blogging.

    But...

    As with everything else, in moderation. I do a ton of writing myself (obviously), and I have found that I have to bracket time: 15 minutes on social media and then STOP. Focus on other things for an hour. Family gets its time, usually when my boys get home in the evenings up until bed time - several hours of undivided attention/chaos.

    It's all about finding the balance that works for you. And remember this. At the end of the day, it's you opinion that matters... not hours. Do what makes you HAPPIEST!

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will miss you when you are not here, but I completely understand where you are coming from. Do what is best for YOU and your family.

    I will always be here to read whenever you come back :) Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, to blog or not to blog, that is the question. I have asked myself that too. Apparently I spend too long on the blogatron. I do about half an hour of writing, and then some surfing. The surfing is the first to go when the blogosphere takes up too much time. But I have to blog. It's my outlet! I was born to write and for those of us who don't have magazine columns to write or novels to produce, the blogging is how we live our writing dream! So, I don't know what the answer is. The moderation stuff is probably a good idea. But to blog or not to blog? Dunno. I go with Ben - whatever brings you joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only blog when the feeling strikes you. It's easier that way and staring into space will be limited as you type because uh, you've been "stricken". IMO, don't shut down. If anything, you've got an awesome campaign going on for pretty Chickadee and her soon-to-be new doggie. Your blog is a platform to updates us and continue to spread the news. I look forward to that stuff. But maybe that's selfish advice??

    Do human beans cause gas like the kidney beans do? I might need to avoid them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally respect you for questioning this and for looking for balance and perspective. My feeling about blogging is we should do it if we get something from it. That could be a creative or emotional outlet, or motivation or accountability or connections or... But do it for you, if it works for you, makes you happy, fits your life. And if you just want to post now and then when the mood strikes you and time allows, we'll still be here:) Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have to do the best thing for you and your family. If you decide to stop blogging, you will be terribly missed, but you owe nothing to US, only to yourself and your family. You don't have to stick to a blogging schedule though if you do choose to keep blogging. Just stop in whenever you have the time and inclination.

    Hugs, and I'll keep checking in no matter how infrequently you blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you! I've had to get really efficient. It still takes a lot of time though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Yum Yucky.

    Blogging should be something fun - not a chore. And a blogger blogs when they feel like blogging. Quantity does not equate quality.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im late to this because I was offline :)
    what does THAT say?

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Though I don't know exactly where you are, I know where you are. I, too, had to relax from blogging. You're right; it takes to much darn time; however, someone wise said to me, "Corletta, you will blog when you need to." She was right. I've just, now, started blogging again. Maybe you just need a break. Whatever you decide, I will be there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so get what you are saying. I struggle with the time blogging takes and I don't have small children in the house!

    I have enjoyed my break from blogging during the holidays and it shows me that less posting is good for me.

    Do what you need to do. I will miss your posts but you are needed in other ways right now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Hippity Hop

I hope it doesn't matter that it's been a week or so since my post on her...but I do have a fabulous special needs daughter.   THIS   and   THAT   are my most recent musings on Special Needs parenting. I'm not sure what I think about either one. It's about being out in public.   Thanks to Sunday at Adventures in Extreme Parenthood   I can handle this blog hop on a week as crazy as this.  I'm excited to visit all these excellent blogs. Stay tuned next week though, for updates on Chickadee's G-tube surgery, moving and The Beast and it's sugar-free diet.  Thanks for playing along at home. I really couldn't do it without you all. Oh, and visit my Facebook Page to see how my weigh-in went this week for GAG.   **I just figured out that  Super Mommy to the Rescue  and Autism Learning Felt  are the sponsoring blogs.  Please follow them if you link up!