
I've noticed that my day is different.
There are days that I wake up behind. I've been up late blogging, or having fun with Mr. Survival. The worst is when Chickadee needs us two or three times in the night.
There are days that I wake up with crystal thoughts.
It's basically one of the two. On the days I can't catch up, I've noticed that the 'victim' thinking is on auto-pilot. On the days that I feel whole, I do so well in almost everything I try.
I'm busily identifying what causes these blackhole days. It hasn't resulted in anything particularly fruitful yet. Other than the huge mass under the surface. You know, my brain. It's my biggest ally and my biggest enemy.
So, some of the biggest epiphanies are quite small when typed out.
Believe me though, these are quite revelatory to me.
- exercise gives me
- clarity
- purpose
- definition
- pessimism
- cataclysm
- surrender
So. That leaves me deprived of my exercise. I'm totally convinced it's worth it to get it in. I respect my body, and the food I put into it so much more when I exercise. My mind-aside from my body-thinks healthier too!
I need those healthier thoughts. I need them BAD. I need them to combat those terrible days when I just can't let exercise trump sleep. Especially.
Trouble is, I've got to use preschool time for grocery shopping and the like for now because I'm still carting her across town to get there. No exercise. When she's home with me she is tolerating NADA alone time. I can't do the treadmill with her. When the kids come home from school, I'm needing to direct homework and do dinner. So no watching Chickadee for me. After dinner is too late. I stay awake in spite of myself, the endorphins are best in the morning or they turn into my enemy at night.
I'm stumped.
Help?
*photo by rohann2012
I'm afraid that I can't do anything but commiserate with you. Exercise is so important, but so hard to fit in. And then if I'm not getting quality sleep, it's really hard to get my butt in gear to do it even if I can fit it in. There have been times where I know that I have a window and force myself to go even though I'm exhausted, and then I've gotten sick. I'm in a terrible vicious cycle with it. Sorry I can't be of any help!
ReplyDeleteI definitely feel so much better the whole day when I work out in the morning! And if I don't do it first thing, life or lame excuses (for me) get in the way. But I also enjoy my sleep. And I feel grumpy if I haven't been able to get all the sleep I wanted. Do 15 minutes of exercise make me feel better than 15 extra minutes of sleep would? Probably.
ReplyDeleteSo my first suggestion is lower your expectations. Can't get on the treadmill for an hour? Then do half an hour. Can't get on the treadmill at all? Then go for a walk (maybe Chickadee could go with you?) or do something in the house that doesn't require to be in a different room: squats, hula hooping, weights, anything.
My second suggestion is to get up 15 minutes earlier no matter how crappy the night was and do a bit of cardio. I usually only do about 20 minutes and still feel great the rest of the day. It probably gives me more energy than the same amount of sleep does.
Hope this helps!
maybe take a break from traditional exercise and do ALL NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis)?
ReplyDeletebe kind to yourself w/regards to tradition workouts and view your WHOLE WORLD thru the lens of how can I makes this (grocery shopping LIVING EVERYTHING!) more calorie burning!!
I wish I were close enough to come and watch the kids for you for a bit. I'd do it happily.
ReplyDeleteOtherwise, I agree with MizFit - try something new!
Don't those fun times with Mr. count as exercise?! Sorry, couldn't resist.
ReplyDeleteI am right there with you - with Anna waking up twice a night for meds and Hubby working doubles, I am a)exhausted all the time and have a hard time dragging myself out of bed in the morning to workout and b) have no time other than the early morning when another adult is here so I can leave. So this morning after her 4:30 a.m. dose, I forced myself into my workout clothes and to the gym. And my head hurt, and I was tired, and the workout and class were hard as hell, but now I am home and glad that I at least did it. Will I feel that way at 2:30 this afternoon when I have been taking care of Anna all day and the other kids come home from school? That remains to be seen.
ReplyDeleteYep to all inputs above thats what I would try. Along with knowing that there will maybe come a day that this too shall get easier, maybe. Hopefully when there is a cute doggy that will keep her happy and smiling and free up a bit of your time. I am so glad that you just keep trying on matter what. And my Hubby would say if he gets my heart rate up it should count for something:)
ReplyDeleteIt's a conundrum alright. Maybe exercise can be the bonus round prize when you actually do get a full night sleep. It can be your 5.30am gratitude after an uninterrupted night.But if you do actually get a full night sleep, who wants to be forced out of bed anyway? Yep, a conundrum ...
ReplyDelete