So I found myself saving a part of my brain because I was going to indulge. After all, it is Thanksgiving. I'm not trying to put anything off limits, but be more moderate in my living.
So, that made me feel a twinge. I felt it coming that I was going to just wallow in it. Fear gripped my heart and I tried doubly hard to get my exercise in, even though nights were rough, and schedules were difficult.
Imagine my surprise, when I found myself editing. We made the traditional North Carolinian Sweet Potato Casserole. I made the topping with the full fat, sugar, and butter. But, in the base I skipped out on a full stick of butter and a full cup of sugar. I just added the egg called for and adjusted to add applesauce. I also use neufchatel cream cheese normally, which also helps with the North Carolinian Yellow Squash Casserole. That and always cooking with extra virgin olive oil instead of butter.
We made ice cream too. I know. That was part of the guilt tripping I was doing last week. The menu looked terrible. Don't get me wrong, it was. But, the recipe said milk, and I used the milk in the fridge. I never thought twice about it being skim. Yes, I still used whipping cream, and half and half as called for. But, I saved 60 calories per cup of milk. AND 23% of the saturated fat for the day. Per cup of milk. I used six cups of milk in that ice cream.
So. Woo-Hoo, right? Heck yeah!
I didn't even notice how much a part of my life this has become. I've never made Thanksgiving Dinner all by myself before. Literally, I cooked every single thing from start to finish. It made it pretty easy to do what I wanted. Without anybody knowing.
Heh he he.
Did you pull any fast ones?
*photo by Buffalo ReUse

Sadly, no, I didn't pull any fast ones. I also made Sweet Potato Casserole, and it was delicious, but I didn't take much of it. ;) That stuff's rich.
ReplyDeletewow, sounds like you had a lot of work! Hope it was a great holiday!
ReplyDeletei survived the official turkey day, but tomorrow is the real fatso meal for my fam. strategy-building as i type, ack! going to a weight watcher meeting in the morning to get pumped up.
ReplyDeletebtw, your photo cracked me up because i thought the chef was choking a voodoo doll. then i realized it was someone in the background, lol.
I made a healthy and (IMO) yummy quinoa dish and it hardly got eaten! Sigh.
ReplyDeleteI made 2 pans of candied yams, one with brown sugar and one with splenda
ReplyDeleteboth were yummy, dumb ole me mixed them together in the same pan of leftovers, so much for the brain cells working!!!!! LOL
This post is making me hungries. I spent Thanksgiving eating food served in a retirement home (visiting the grandma). That's the part of the story that goes in-between the child-barfing and the car breaking down. Yay, me!
ReplyDeleteWELLLLLL my Hubby and all the boys don't think its Thanksgiving unless there is a pie or two per person so no tricks here plus at our big family dinner everyone kept trying to send home all their good left overs. I am so glad that it only happens once a year because I really hate to cook that many pies.
ReplyDeleteOh to fiber, I hear ya so I am rubbing all my apples really really hard and heres hoping the wax comes off. Have a most amazing week because you deserve it.
late to this but no fast ones here :)
ReplyDeletewe ended up at megamind and (shhh) eating pizza.
it was a nontraditional thanksgiving.
and I even decided NOT to force my GF pizza on the others :)
sounds like you did a great job. :)
ReplyDelete