Skip to main content

Reflexive Retraction


So, this is the post I've been trying to write for days now.

A friend of mine recently told me, "I think it's really important for people of faith to realize:  they might go to hell.  I find it to change my attitude into a healthier position.  One where I don't assume my own righteousness. Or that my goodness outweighs the inevitable bad."

I think this would apply to any persons of any philosophical persuasions.

For me, it has been just as important to realize, I might be a bad mother.  Hear me out on this.  Because it's true.  I present a certain portion of my motherhood to everyone I meet, I don't indicate the nasty tone in my voice.  I don't present how that has caused a particular sag in the shoulders of my kids.

Me.

I did that.  Now that I'm coming out of the comatose state caused by Chickadee's regression, and Mr. Survival being in mourning over his dad.  Now that I'm discovering I'm still alive.

Again.

I'm okay with the fact that I did the best that I could.  Sounds cliche, and trite, but it's true.  I tried really hard to do the right thing by my kids, Mr. Survival and myself.  I couldn't have done better without winding up in the loony bin again.  So, I'm fine with that.

What tears me up is that I deliberately  in a subconscious defensive move, [I'm not sure what it was, but it's how I deal with too much] withheld a part of myself from my kids.  Specifically, I could not deal with Chickadee losing her skills.

I literally thought I was going to fall to pieces.  Her therapists kept moving back D-day.  As in, "We've got to keep her pulling up to stand.  If she can just keep that . . ." then moving back to, "If we can just keep her doing stairs." Still later, it would be, "Keep her crawling, give her whatever she wants." and finally, with real desperation, "Keep her standing." There were always danger clouds in their eyes when they said that.  Everyone in the room was aware of what would happen if she stopped standing.

Life becomes a cruel new level of hard.  At least from the head on perspective.

We woke up one morning after a few early warnings.  It was gone.  No standing whatsoever.  No weight bearing.  Nada.

I shut down.  I pulled back.  I couldn't deal.  She didn't seem like she was stopping her regression.  I felt like another part of my future died.  One that was so battle worn, it didn't look like it was coming back.  I lost a light in my own eye.  I mourned in my own heart.  It made me unavailable to her.

Me.

I did that.

That is why it is important for me to wrap my head around my standing in motherhood.  And that, is why I'm eating emotionally again.  Whenever I look at her and feel sad, I have a series of dominoes that go off about how I need to do better for her.  How she literally would not be so bad off if she'd had me Present.  The list goes on and on.

Suddenly I find a stick of butter in my hands, or brownie batter in the pan on the stove.  Or donuts being passed through my car window.  I hate donuts.  It seems to be this leveling out of justice.  Sabotage, assuaging, medication, and fierce rebellion all in one.

So.  This is me.  Pushing myself to just jump in again isn't working.  Feeling it out seems right.  I think exercise is my key to hitching a ride on the wagon again, and I will work through this emotional thing with food gently.

Thanks for listening, it's my language of love.

*photo by readerwalker

**Also, my good friend MrsFatass is posting today at Peanut Gallery Speaks.  Come give her a read!

Comments

  1. I think this is what emotional eating is for all of us. We say it makes us feel better in the moment, but it doesn't. It's punishment. It's beating ourselves down, sabotaging our own progress and health because we don't feel good enough.

    I don't care how many times you raised your voice, or what you did to get through an unimaginably difficult time. You are NOT a bad mother. You are so full of love. You cannot give everything of yourself all the time, even to your children.

    Hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JBS, all I have for you is hugs and prayers. (( ))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh JBS, my heart goes out to you. I think every mom struggles at some point or another with thoughts of being a bad mother. But you have been dealt a lot and I can not imagine how hard that has been on your whole family. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you write...though I hate the hurt behind every word. You are doing the absolute best with what you have...period. That is more than most do. Many have the best at their fingertips and act the worst on purpose. You are the kind of mother many want to be and I'd never say that if I didn't mean it. Everyone in your family is lucky to have you...and I am lucky to call you a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny (ironic, not funny-ha-ha) but that's exactly what happened to me. Even though I couldn't control his regression and wasn't responsible for it, I was barely available as a mother to my two boys. It sucked.

    Then I got over it and moved on and focused on my kids and making the best life for them. And sometimes it still sucks but it's so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. While my story pales in comparison to the heart-wrenching difficulties you're experiencing, I've had some very similar feelings about my relationships with my kids, especially due to issues with my oldest. Its shaken my very core as a mother, filled me with doubt, regret, shame and sadness. I hear ya. I feel ya. <>

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not a mother (I am a stepmother and that has brought its own unique pain) but I will say this: NO child grows up unscathed. NO parent does it "right" (whatever that means) 100% of the time.

    I know you know this.

    What's really awesome about this post is your awareness...now that you know that your feelings about all of this can't destroy you, you know that your feelings about all of this can't destroy you.

    You can't go "back." Progress has been made. <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are brave to write this. And I am NOT going to try to offer you words to feel better or to convince you to take it back. Know why? I get it. I get feeling like the bad mom. The one holding them back or causing their problems or making them worse. I get the need to balance self-preservation against being that selfless always-doing-the-right-thing thread that keeps the family together.

    I don't think I need to try to talk you out of feeling that way, because it doesn't serve a purpose. But I WILL say that when you said that jumping in isn't what works for you, but feeling your way seems right? That's how I know you'll pull out of this in time and in your way.

    And in the meantime, kids are strong and resiliant and yours are as intelligent as you.

    AND THEY KNOW YOU LOVE THEM.

    As do I.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did not have a child with special needs. Except that she was. Her father and I divorced when she was 3 and then when she was 6 he just left. For 15 years she didn't have and physical contact with him because he chose to move to another continent. That child was abandoned. She had needs. Then, under the weight of all of it, I abandoned her too in many ways. I spent her entire freshman year of college in mourning. For what I had done to her and ultimately to myself. Sometimes even now I slip back there.

    We all (parents) make mistakes, some bigger than others. Yum Yucky already said what I was going to: You're doing the best you can in the situation you're in.

    That is enough. It really is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is it possible (yes, please say yes). That when you look at pretty Chickadee's regression and want to grab a donut, that instead, you say to yourself, I'm going to be healthy for Chickadee. Would that compel you to resist the food urges?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing. It's good to get it out. And it's good for us to read it. You really are showing us the road on your journey beyond survival ... and survive you will .... heaven awaits you I'm sure. L

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a brave post and I just feel for you. Moms in the best of circumstances get down on themselves and question their mothering, and your circumstances are such that I can't even begin to know what it's like every day for you. I do know this - you're normal. You're a normal mom in extraordinary circumstances doing the very best you can.
    Do some exercise, even if you just go for a walk. It will make you feel better. I'm wishing the best for you and your family and thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're a good mother and I love you. Others have said it better, but I just wanna add mine in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...