Skip to main content

The Feeding Tube

If the idea of my Chickadee's feeding tube makes your stomach turn, you don't want to keep reading. Feel free to skip out, and come back another day!



To the far left is a picture of the tubes that I use for Chickadee now. The larger ends go into a large syringe. Which is the next picture.












It looks like this:


And also this:

We're still working out our nerves.  But, it's working well.  Her surgical site is healing, and has passed four doctor's health tests.  She doesn't flinch when I pick her up anymore, and hasn't needed any pain medicine for over a week.

I honestly never should have taken her on that camping trip last weekend.  I feel badly about it.  We came home early.  She tolerated it, but she would have been much more comfortable at home.  

What makes it all worth it, is the first thing that made her giggle after surgery.  It was our second day.  They showed me how to vent her through the tube.  It's like burping.

But louder.

She likes it.  Beansprout relishes it.  Best of all, she's been vomit free for a week.  I can't stop packing extra clothes, and my bib drawer is bursting with dozens (literally) of bibs.  Haven't needed them.

Today she's had a cold, and has been through four pair of clothes.  The drainage you know.  It's just too much for her to handle.  She can't keep anything down.  That is what made me reflect on how far the surgery has brought us.

Thank heaven for burping through a tube.  Her reflux isn't scorching her throat.  The screaming fits of terror have a solution now. She's increased the amount she can drink.  

What did we do before?

Comments

  1. awe, bless her heart! Good to hear no vomiting and that she relishes it! God bless :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww your sweet lil chickadee! So glad all is going well. Sending positive thought and healing prayers. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad she's doing better! So can she eat at all through the mouth? Or is it all feeding tube?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup. She eats almost everything through the mouth. All we usually do is burp her with the tube. It's nice to have it to feed her with though. Because today she couldn't keep anything down, and kept inhaling tiny bits of stuff going up or down. I was scared to give her her decongestant by mouth, or anything really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad to hear she is improving. There is nothing as good as the feeling that your child is getting better, moving forward, even if it's just making her more comfortable. You are such a good mother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ((HUGS)), JBS. I am glad surgery went well for Chickadee and she is entertaining everyone with her burp tube! Precious moments seeing her giggling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truly an amazing child. How many of us as adults would handle something like that so well. What a sweetie. And mom........your amazing too! She is super lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YEP your amazing and I am sure this has been too hard yet so much better. Thanks so much for your encouragment I love it, crave it, need it, and thank you for it. So so glad she is more comfy even if the whole process was hard. Ya I can just see what my boys would be doing most likly trying to burp louder and longer then her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm very familiar with G tubes and think the MicKey is a great option. Awesome that she can still eat - which we all know is a great pleasure:) You are amazing.

    I just haven't been able to put a post together good enough for your blog, but one of these days you're gonna get one from me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad it went well, that she's doing better, that you're doing better...big hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...