Things are smoothing out, but still pretty bumpy. I'm so excited to get back to my regular schedule . . . for now, I thought we could discuss something that has been percolating.
I find that the end result is also negative. I tend to feel shame. Whether I give up a habit, or cling to it, I am ashamed of it when people point out it's faults. I hide it, or I shun it.
We are so attached to our food habitsI find that for the majority of people, food is not merely fuel. It is cultural, emotional, traditional, and personal. When someone attacks, or merely suggests that my religious heritage, or my family traditions are bogus, it makes me cling to them more tightly. It makes me defensive.
I find that the end result is also negative. I tend to feel shame. Whether I give up a habit, or cling to it, I am ashamed of it when people point out it's faults. I hide it, or I shun it.
How do we help ourselves and others not to feel this way about healthy food?
Is food more than fuel, and could it be more while still being healthy?
I agree - there are all sorts of associations with food that have nothing to do with fuel. I am torn as I think about a healthy lifestyle - should I come up with healthy food alternatives to family favorites and make new traditions? Or is it okay on some special occasions to have those foods that evoke great memories and meaning for us.
ReplyDelete((((Huggles))))
ReplyDeleteOh how I've missed your posting during my absence from blogland. I can't wait to go read some back posts. Your posts always make me step back and think, I love it. :0)
I think my biggest problem was making my parents except to eat more variety and healthier options. Because when you have to share the kitchen and want to eat better, having someone else cook pilaf in butter everyday isn't helping you. I have no will power whatsoever so it is a nightmare for me to find "bad" food in the kitchen cos I am tempted just by the idea.
ReplyDeleteI've been doing a lot of the cooking for the past two weeks now and things are looking up. Like my father used to refuse to eat cauliflower so mum would have to cook something else especially for him if we were to have cauliflower. Yesterday I cooked a cauliflower soup from scrach (I even prepared the chicken stock) and he had a huge bowl as dinner. Even gradma enjoyed it and she is one picky woman.
Now my biggest problem remains my boyfriend. He is a body builder! Meaning he needs to eat about a zillion calories a day. Imagine spending the weekend with him. Once we are married the weekdays doesn't worry me cos on weekdays he does his own thing and I don't even like tuna :) Now I need to practice self discipline! It's time I learn how to control my emotions towards food.
Why can't the healthy foods be a part of the good memories?
ReplyDeleteMy kids tell me that the food I make tastes so much better to them because they know it is made with LOVE. I might add that they are now young adult children - but still my children.
They feel that LOVE when I feed them, it doesn't matter if it is oven roasted broccoli and asparagus (which they love) or if it is a cookie. The feeling of me providing for them is what stands out in their minds and hearts.
In my house special holiday treats are okay - we have them and enjoy every bite!
I do believe that food is more than just fuel for our bodies!
I love the celebratory aspect of food. And the traditional side of it. Food is FUN! That will be my motto to the end. And ya, I hope there a buffets in heaven.
ReplyDeleteHey you. Food is everything and nothing to me. Right now it's nothing. Being REMINDED to eat, if you can believe that. My relationship with food is fluid. I don't know. I wish it could just be fuel sometimes, and other times I wish it could take all the aches and pains away.
ReplyDeleteHello! Sorry I have been absent. My mind and my time has been spent elsewhere. But I am back and will be reading you daily again.
ReplyDeleteFood? Hmmm. You pose some very interesting questions. As I stuff my face with left over Chinese food I find I have little to say on the matter. No soap box for me today ;)