Updated to include the last comment at the top:
Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul said...
I'm new on this wagon. When I went to Harry Potter a little over a week ago, I was surprised by a comment behind me. "She looks so anorexic right there."
Emma Watson.
Wait, what?
This girl? This one right here?
So I looked it up. It seems it started in 2006. Really. This poor girl has been dealing with the press either complaining that she is anorexic or that she's pudgy since then or linking her to either. She is athletic. She drinks socially.
I understand that the camera adds ten pounds, and that there aren't ten pounds to take away there. Or are there?
What I saw in the theatre looked like a pretty sculpted girl. One with enough curves left on her hips, arms and chest to be appealing. It could be because she's less endowed than most in the bust region. Maybe that made the girls behind me say that. Or that the shirt revealed no pudge over her waistband.
I don't want this to turn into a celebrity blog. Nope. It just struck me that girls that were 50-75 pounds overweight thought that Watson looked anorexic. I'm still twenty pounds overweight according to BMI charts. But I'm that Emma Watson body type when I'm 165 to 175 pounds.
What do we think Internets? Is she too skinny? Are we unrealistic? Do we get skewed from being defensive?
I even am a doctor and one that specializes in treating eating disorders and I would never dare to judge someone's eating history or mental health status based on a picture or film. Being concerned about someone whom we are close to that has lost significant weight is one thing, but the media is much too quick to place the label of an eating disorder on individuals who look a certain way. Not only does body weight often tell us very little about who has an ED or not, but it serves to take away from the seriousness of those who are suffering.
I'm new on this wagon. When I went to Harry Potter a little over a week ago, I was surprised by a comment behind me. "She looks so anorexic right there."
Emma Watson.
Wait, what?
This girl? This one right here?
So I looked it up. It seems it started in 2006. Really. This poor girl has been dealing with the press either complaining that she is anorexic or that she's pudgy since then or linking her to either. She is athletic. She drinks socially.
I understand that the camera adds ten pounds, and that there aren't ten pounds to take away there. Or are there?
What I saw in the theatre looked like a pretty sculpted girl. One with enough curves left on her hips, arms and chest to be appealing. It could be because she's less endowed than most in the bust region. Maybe that made the girls behind me say that. Or that the shirt revealed no pudge over her waistband.
I don't want this to turn into a celebrity blog. Nope. It just struck me that girls that were 50-75 pounds overweight thought that Watson looked anorexic. I'm still twenty pounds overweight according to BMI charts. But I'm that Emma Watson body type when I'm 165 to 175 pounds.
What do we think Internets? Is she too skinny? Are we unrealistic? Do we get skewed from being defensive?

Whether it's a good thing to admit or not, I'm pretty aware of body types most of the time. We saw the movie over the weekend and not once did I think she was too thin. I think she is just naturally a thin girl, and she definitely does still have healthy looking curves and softness to her body. I think we're all so used to so many people being overweight that some people are starting to look at a perfectly healthy body as too thin. After all, if she's too thin, it makes it easier for me because I don't have to compare myself to her.
ReplyDeleteSo I guess I missed that controversy. I have gotten all caught up in how cute she looks with short hair:)
ReplyDeleteYikes...is it wrong for me to say I have no idea who this is?? Um...maybe I am just showing my age...now I will show my weight and say yes, she is a bit too thin in my opinion, at least in the blue dress pic. Of course, if she got a mosquito bit on her belly she would suddenly be all over the news for being pregnant. I wish people could just leave people alone sometimes, you know what I mean? ; )
ReplyDeleteI think she looks fine. I remember having great metabolism when I was that young. I could eat whatever I wanted and nothing made me gain. Conversely, I didn't think much about it. Girls today are obsessed. It's frightening. Not that I advocate the opposite, its just that we seem to have become a society of extremes. And anyone in the middle is subject to criticism from both ends.
ReplyDeleteI think there are plenty of actresses who look anorexic, but never once during Harry Potter did I think Emma Watson was one of them. I agree with you - she looks really sculpted and toned. I also think that a lot of the time, some of us who are/were 50-75 pounds+ overweight need to assign something like anorexia to thin girls in order to make ourselves feel better. I haven't noticed myself doing it, but I have heard plenty of others.
ReplyDeleteI think more than anything I am just tired of everyone judging everyone else, especially based on physical appearance! Too fat, too skinny, too this, too that!! Enough already!
ReplyDeleteHuh...I've always thought of Emma as having a slender build (fine bone structure) but also being very athletic and fit.
ReplyDeleteI'm with Karen - more interested in her adorable pixie haircut!
Ditto what KCL Anderson said! I'm completely tired of all the talk.
ReplyDeleteShe look healthier the first pic with the blue dress on. That's what my eyeballs tell me, who am I, right?
ReplyDeleteI stumbled onto this personal trainer website yesterday. The trainer's BEFORE pics actually looked healthier than their AFTER pics. They're way too skinny now. I don't get it.
She looks healthy enough to me. I dunno.
ReplyDeleteEnough already! Who are we to judge?
ReplyDeleteI'm with Tami.
ReplyDeleteWho are we (or the girls in the row behind you) to judge?
I don't think we're qualified.
Unless a doctor, the parent or rightly concerned equivalent, I think opinions about the appearance of others are best reserved for those of weak character ...
(Having said that I am now going to re-read my blog to be sure I have never judged another's externals :P )
Shit ...
L
I read this yesterday morning before there were comments and did not leave one.
ReplyDeleteits so hard to know when we arent in someone's shoes huh?
and it surprises even ME how quick I can be to wanna judge...all from the pages of In Touch or Star magazine.
I even am a doctor and one that specializes in treating eating disorders and I would never dare to judge someone's eating history or mental health status based on a picture or film. Being concerned about someone whom we are close to that has lost significant weight is one thing, but the media is much too quick to place the label of an eating disorder on individuals who look a certain way. Not only does body weight often tell us very little about who has an ED or not, but it serves to take away from the seriousness of those who are suffering.
ReplyDelete