Skip to main content

Mr. Survival


First of all, I need to address my choice of name for the man in my life.  Hubbend.  I stole it from my sister who actually calls her wonderful man that in moments of happy bliss.  Right now, my life and the man in it don't really fit with the concept.  We've outgrown it for the multipurpose use of this forum.

Our hearts aren't so much the lacy bliss right now, and we're fine with that.  I feel like the adornments have been tossed aside, leaving my burlap canvas soul to be zipped up tightly with his rawhide leather.  Nothing's tearing us apart.  Weather, circumstance, or fatigue.  We're gonna work to keep us strong.

So, he's Mr. Survival now.

Mr. Survival was telling me yesterday that last week was horribly busy.  We made it all week in anticipation of the weekend.  Then church volunteering commitments took him from me while I weathered Beansprout's and miss THANG's double header soccer games.  At the same time, with a miserable Chickadee watching Backyardigans on my phone.

Sunday wasn't much better as Chickadee was sick, and I was sick with her.  Terrible day for it, as it was the day that the children in the congregation present everything they've learned.  I missed Beansprout's first confident public speaking, and miss THANG's first memorized stanza.

As we held each other up in the kitchen-as opposed to hugging like usual-Mr. Survival whispered that he didn't want to go to bed because that meant he was going to have to be ready for this week.  I agreed.  We hesitantly made our way to slumbering.

It was then that the train hit.

  • 2:30 am Chickadee sniffles, I have to get up to check, she could potentially aspirate on the discharge since it's been thin and she can't swallow that safely.
  • 3:00 am Building Alarm goes off.  Mr. Survival makes his way downstairs and all around the [vast] outerbuilding.  Think of us as sort of white collar on-site guards.  I freak out and check the kids 6 times and generally be the coward that I am.
  • 3:30 am We decide it is an over-sized rodent, since no door alarms went off.
  • 4:00 am We can't sleep.  Mr. Survival is incredibly sexy.  We take care of my raging hormones.
  • 5:00 am Chickadee wakes up crying wanting to go potty as well as a drink. I oblige.
  • 8:30 am I wake up surprised to find my children off to school and Mr. Survival whisking Chickadee off to preschool.
Do you remember my Thursday post?  Yeah, I'm not linking.  It was about not playing the victim anymore.  So.  That is what happened.  I have not exercised since Thursday, and don't plan to today since I have a fever.

I'm going to pick myself up, and keep going.  Next week, starting the 23rd?  Gonna be ten times worse.  Tell you about it tomorrow as I try to get a plan together to handle it.

*photo credit

Comments

  1. Hooray for wonderful men! ^_^ You two are such a well-matched couple, you complement each other splendidly in your strengths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do your posts sometimes leave me speechless staring at computer screen bewildered-in-awe state of, "Damn, that woman is stronger than she knows."

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Our hearts aren't so much the lacy bliss right now, and we're fine with that. I feel like the adornments have been tossed aside, leaving my burlap canvas soul to be zipped up tightly with his rawhide leather. Nothing's tearing us apart. Weather, circumstance, or fatigue. We're gonna work to keep us strong."

    Maybe the best paragraph about REAL marriage ever written.

    God bless you honey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Mr. Survival are so lucky to have each other:) Love his new name. Wish I had a good one for my own man. Somehow, Mr. Waisting isn't working for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you have Mr. Survival...seriously...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a very good name. My pretty girl thinks she does not like me calling mine hubby so I might have to come up with a new name to, but still thinking. U are amazing in sticking it all out together. You are both going to make it even if its hard because your amazing my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. Survival rocks! And so do you.I hope you know that. I totally agree with Yum yucky's comment above. You two are lucky to have eachother. I'm sorry you missed the primary program, those are always so great. Get better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes exactly what you need is a Mr. Survival, and the lacy bliss is nice but not too weather-tough. I am glad that you have someone to lean on for support.

    Our Primary program was yesterday as well, and as the president, I had a pretty rough weekend between that and other church obligations. For once, I am glad it is Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Burlap Canvas and Rawhide Leather? Just the most beautiful and poignant combination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Burlap Canvas and Rawhide Leather? Just the most beautiful and poignant combination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ditto Yum Yucky. You are worthy of your name Mrs Survival.
    Sorry I haven't been around for a while. Had been on my own survival journey ... but finally kept my head above and am almost flying again ... you will too my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What YUM YUCKY said... can I repeat that? First real honest glimse of what marriage is about...

    paula

    ReplyDelete
  13. You don't sound like you enjoyed the night but as a -dying-to-be-married-and-living-with-my-man-silly-girl I envy your night somehow. Reading about your family... even the problems, the alarms :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You write so well for someone who gets no sleep!

    What a great guy you married!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are lucky to have a man that takes care of you! Hang in there girl and get some rest!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...