Skip to main content

ball dropping


I’ve said before that JBS and I have a lot of things about us, our lives, and our families that make us different. Things that in other times or places might make being good friends kind of difficult. But isn’t it funny how meeting here, in the blogosphere, in this virtual way, can make our similarities so much more striking and magnetic than our differences?

She and I, we both have kids that we tirelessly fret over. We both deal with guilt. We both have darkness in our minds sometimes, and we both fight like mad to stay in the light. We have spouses that have gone with us to hell and back. We have so many blessings, but I think that we both occasionally need a nudge to remember that.

I’m here today at her place to help her out. She’s got a lot on her plate, as we all do, but hers is especially heaping right now. Over the months that she and I have grown to be friends, she’s heard me say over and over “you can only do what you can do. Just take a look at what you’ve got going on in a day and decide which ball it is that you’re going to drop.”

So she graciously gave me the keys to her castle and here I am to help fill her corner of the internet with a word or two. And the ball-dropping thing? That’s what I want to talk about today.

A little story about me is that back in the days before kids, I spent five years working for an educational company where the job was crazy impossible, but where I worked for the world’s best boss. A boss that really invested himself in developing me. A boss that taught me things that even now I reflect on and quote and implement in my life. And one of those lessons is the ball-dropping one.

It’s no secret that I am a total stresscase. Anxiety up the wazoo. And feelings that kind of mimic anxiety? Feelings like excitement or elation or anticipation? Well, they can make me feel really anxious, too. Because the tension and the rapid heart rate and the heightened emotion is all similar. Too similar for me, because my brain just can’t distinguish between the different kinds of intensity. On the one hand, I love flavor. But on the other? Vanilla is delicious, too.

But my work environment for that five years was anything but vanilla. It was one of those places that was one big busy season. And I struggled sometimes to be able to manage it all. To balance my innate need to be an overachiever with my also innate inability to handle anxiety like a normal person.

And my boss recognized it.

And one day he sat me down and he said this:

In this environment, there will always be a million balls to keep in the air. The operational ones. The marketing ones. The sales ones. Every single day there will be people coming at you from everywhere needing something from you. Needing it now. Needing it to be better than last month or last year. You are under a constant microscope and your will always be counted on to produce.

But between you and me, the thing that shows me how valuable you are to this company and to my team is not that you complete every single task every single day better than anyone else. It’s that you have the ability to prioritize. That you can decide, and decide well, which is the ball that can be dropped today. That’s the skill that will take you far in this company.

It’s also a skill that has taken me far in life. It is the single most important piece of advice I have ever received, and pretty much the basis of any advice I have ever given. It’s not about doing everything perfect all the time. It’s about having the ability to decide which things you just aren’t going to be able to get to right now, and going from there.

JBS, you’ve got a heaping full plate. I think I speak for The Blogosphere when I say we’re okay with being the dropped ball for right now. We’ll miss you. But we’ll be here when it’s a good time for you to put us back in the air again.

Until then, I’ve got the keys. And I can let myself in and take care of things here anytime you need me.

*photo credit

Comments

  1. Ahhhh...I've never felt better about dropping some balls (and believe me, I will). And I now I hope JBS feels okay about it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Raises hand* Uh, major ball-dropper here!

    And occassional ball-buster ;)

    Love you and miss you, JBS! We'll be here for you when you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome way to look at it. I've got to try this. I struggle with prioritizing mostly because of worrying that I might drop the ball that my boss, my husband, my family or my friends might really have hoped I'd kept in the air. But practice makes perfect right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post....JBS - take all the time you need and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers the entire time you're gone...and even when you're back here. Take care of you mmkkaayy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think being ok w/ balls dropping is important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How great to have friends their to pick up the balls now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OHHH I love this whole post. Somedays Moms have to do this in the house and I really had to learn it when I had to come home and sit a year in a rocking chair and take care of my little guy. Like I said last week JBS you are so good at building us up. Take a day or tow or more and build you and hug the kids and get all those balls in a where they need to be we will all be ok. And thats a for sure because you have a great friend supporting you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kahla @ Building Blocks BootcampOctober 26, 2010 at 10:59 AM

    The only words that my fingers will type right now is "PERFECT POST!" Perfect in every sense of the words "ball-dropping." I needed this and I think JBS will be better for it too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such an amazing way with words Mrs. Fatass. And your advice? Outstanding. As a (mostly) recovering perfectionist, the concept of prioritizing resonates loudly with me. Also? What a great friend you are. JBS, hang in there girl and drop whatever ball(s) needs dropping!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jumping up and down in celebration of ball dropping and buddying up. Well said MFA.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...