Skip to main content

Autism May Have Saved My Life


My friend Ryan helped me out during this crazy circus week.  Unbeknownst to me he wrote this post an hour before having his gallbladder removed.  He is that Guy.  So, he has the honor of covering for me while Chickadee is having surgery for her G-tube.  (a feeding tube in her stomach-she can still eat)  He also does awesome work at this site of his, as well as that site which he co-authors.  He is completely amazing.  If you like Twitter, follow him @NoMoreBacon, but be sure to pack a girdle, because your abs are gonna ache from the lunchtime belly laughing.  Oh! and he is the one that took my other blog from limping to fabulous.   

I asked Ryan to write about how his son's autism affected his own health.  Please savor Ryan Sullivan of No More Bacon:

Autism May Have Saved My Life

Now I know that’s a really bizarre thing to say. How a disorder that affects so many children could have had some type of positive impact on my life doesn’t really make any sense does it? Or does it?

For those of you who don’t know, or just don’t know me, I have a 3 (almost 4) year old son with autism. His official diagnosis is “high functioning autism.” 90% of people wouldn’t have any idea he had autism by watching him play at a playground. He runs and jumps and plays just like any “normal” child. Then there’s the awkward moment when another child or an adult starts talking to Collin and they expect a “normal” 3 year old response.

You see, even though my son is basically a genius (not bragging, he’s been tested and everything), he can’t talk.  He makes some hard consonant sounds but not really any words. He has a really hard time playing with other kids and is an absolute pro at flipping out completely when his routine is not followed exactly. Gratefully all of those things are improving little by little. He’s working really hard! He started going to school full time (25+ hours a week) when he turned 3 and also has private therapy sessions outside of school. Our outlook is definitely optimistic.

That being said, recognizing that Collin had autism in the first place was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to deal with. He grew and developed just like any toddler until he was about 15 months old. Then things started to change. He wouldn’t roll the ball back and forth with us anymore, he stopped answering to his name, and a bomb could have gone off in the same room without startling him. I quietly watched and observed. All children develop differently and I didn’t want to cause any unneeded stress by making the assumption that he was deaf, or had autism, or anything of the sort. For 3 months I read online forums and compared symptoms to Collin. About the time he was 18 months old I knew. I was 98% positive he had autism before we met with any doctors.

I knew I was going to break her heart, but I had to tell my wife Jackie. I knew we had to get Collin help as quickly as possible for the best results.  At first she couldn’t believe I would even bring it up.  She was sure I was crazy.  Then a few weeks passed and we decided to have him tested.  Most doctor’s weren’t willing to say he had autism before his 2nd birthday, but many said it looked like he “may” have autism.

The whole process was extremely stressful and emotionally trying.  I started to eat like I’ve never eaten before. My health hadn’t been good but it got really bad.  I was at my absolute fattest (near 400 pounds) and I just kept eating.  Food was the way I dealt with the stress of medical bills, and doctor visits, and coming to the realization that my first born son very well could end up being “the weird kid.”  I was letting the trial kill me.

After the initial downward dive though, something changed in me.  I knew I had really jeopardized my health to the point I wasn’t going to live to be an old man.  Then I looked at my wife and thought about her trying to raise Collin alone.  I couldn’t handle the heartbreak.  I knew that I needed to be there for him and for her.  Raising a child alone would be hard enough, but Collin brought some added challenges to the table.  I knew I had to change.  I knew I had to take control of my life.  If I was going to be able to help my wife and son I had to be able to have control of my life first.  The whole “put your own oxygen mask on first before helping others” idea.

Now does it make more sense when I say that autism may have saved my life?  Had Collin not been born with autism I may have continued to neglect my health for years and years.  Because of him I’ve lost 140 pounds in the last year.  Because of him I have my life back.  Autism helped save my life.

Comments

  1. What Mishe said.

    and Ill add the word BEYOND.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan its important for you to know kids with Autism grow up to be great adults with Autism.

    I should know.

    I'm one of them.

    Its not easy at times but with the right tools that you are providing him, he is going to be just fine.

    He saved your life. Now you're going to save his. I would loved to have had parents like you. Your very lucky to have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have anything particularly intelligent to say about this, other than it makes me feel very warm and fuzzy to see Ryan on JBSs blog. And it makes me feel warm and fuzzy to see all of the love pouring out of the post. And I'll bet all of the comments here will make me feel warm and fuzzy too.

    Thanks for sharing this story, Ryan. I thought I couldn't adore you any more than I already did, but as it turns out, I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful ryan! I agree with Tara, you two are lucky to have each other!

    and mrs. no more bacon is one lucky woman! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Similarly, my daughter's SPD led me to get into the best shape of my life :) Always good to make positive changes through adversity. Here are some resources that helped us help our daughter. I hope they help all those parents out there dealing with neuro disorders:
    www.brainbalancecenters.com - education/learning techniques
    www.aitinstitute.org - auditory therapy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love stories where something great comes from something that might initially have seemed not so great. My niece is high functioning on the autism scale. She was not diagnosed until she was in college! For her whole like it was clear she was "different" and her parents seeked out help and experts and did all they thought they could. I am glad that now there is so much in place to assist with early recognition and intervention. BTW - my niece is very happily working on her Master's and the her PHd in some sort of physics program. And the funny part is she can hardly hold a social conversation but she can talk on and on about her studies:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard many parents tell stories about how their kids made them better people but this one ranks way up there...and yes, your family is lucky to have you and vice versa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Mrs. Fatass. Warm 'n fuzzy all the way. Ryan, you are like a "Dude-Father-Man-Friend-Husband of the Year" kinda guy. Not necessarily in that order, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing. It's amazing how things that we often perceive as "tragedy" can inspire and push us to grow in new ways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful post and some great insight on not only autism but the continued love and respect you have for your son and wife. That alone, makes you an incredible human being. I'm glad I got to know a bit more of the story since I've been tagging along in the fitness blogger world for a while but haven't quite connected with everyone. This post makes me smile--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post - I too, got my self to a better place because of my son's developmental disability. I knew that I needed to take care of myself in order to take care of him.
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Struggles just help us grow, well said and yep got the warm tingly all over just knowing that there was something good from something hard once again happening somewhere out there in this wide world of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing Ryan.

    I am a work in progress and trying to get healthy for myself, my husband and my son.

    We received my son's diagnosis a year ago (He is 3 1/2) and while it was a shock we knew something was up. My son definitely is my primary reason for wanting to get healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you referred me to this post. I'm so glad you got him diagnosed EARLY. I truly believe that is the key to giving our autistic children the best chance they can have to function and learn.

    Hugs to you dear. You amaze me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chiming in to say the same. This was amazing. Thank you for sharing Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chiming in to say the same. This was amazing. Thank you for sharing Ryan.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful post Ryan! I know what it's like to deal with disabilities in the family and how the easy thing can be to give up but the hard thing is to keep pushing forward and fighting. You are truly a strong and loving father and husband!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you everyone for such thoughtful comments! I really appreciate it! We are very optimistic for Collin and love to hear such great stories!

    THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is lovely :o)
    I have a 10yo high functioning autistic son and he is "That weird kid" Nobody 'gets' him and he's very lonely I've recently realised that i am almost his whole world and definatly his only real friend.
    Reading your story has made me really think about that. I weigh 370+lbs and what would happen to my beautiful son if i were to drop dead of a heart attack? There's a good chance he'd curl up and nearly die of a broken heart.

    Thank you for opening my eyes :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved this post. I'm a physical therapist and I have worked with childs with autism and other neurological conditions, so I guess I can talk as someone "inside the circle".

    I remember this woman, she's an actress and have a child with Down's syndrome. She wrote a monologue and play it at a theather. After almost an hour watching the play, and all the audience was crying, she finish it up with something like this words:


    "I love you because you're my child. You have told me so much about life. To accept life. I see into your eyes and I only see purity. I love just the way you are. AND IF GOD HIMSELF WOULD COME DOWN FROM THE HEAVENS, AND TELL ME "IF YOU WANT, I CAN TAKE AWAY DOWN'S SYNDROME FROM YOUR SON" I WOULD TELL HIM NO! NO! I DON'T WANT YOU ANY DIFFERENT!!! I LOVED YOU THE WAY YOU ARE AND I DON'T WANT A DIFFERENT CHILD INSTEAD OF YOU!!! I LOVE YOU, MY SON"

    No need to say, she got an standing applause.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing post, Ryan. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're an amazing man and father, Ryan. Your son is lucky to have you as his father, and I'm so glad he saved your life. The world is a better place with you in it.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...