Skip to main content

Cooking with Gas


Those annoying people that knock on your door?  Yep.  Yesterday I got to feed the Mormonaries.

I got a soft spot for those guys.  Couldn't have anything to do with my brothers and Hubbend both having been one once, could it?  It was a cool autumn day, and I thought what better thing to make but soup!  The thing was, that we've fed these guys before.  I bought lovely vegetables and a great green salad, but they acted a bit like it was gross.  In a polite way they thought wouldn't be noticed.  Duly noted.  Not 'healthy' eaters.

So, this time I realized that my current diet would not cut it with these guys.  Nor really with my family.  Can you imagine Beansprout eating Minestrone that includes pink beans, kale, garlic, onions, celery, carrots and more?  Neither can I.

I decided to go all out and send half of the food with the poor starving missionaries.  I also made my mommie's cheese and vegetable soup, which Beansprout still refused to eat because there were *gasp* vegetables in it.  Luckily the rest of the table loved it.  I was a bit worried maybe the missionaries wouldn't like it because of the broccoli.  But, they did.

They also liked our salad, and did not even call it weeds like one of my friends did once upon a time.  They ate it without a grimace.  One of them even tried my balsamic vinegar instead of dressing.  So good guys.  Really good Italian vinegar is awesome.  I've been loving it for four years now.  Except for the part when I gained 50 pounds.

I also baked bread.  I know how to make some awesome honey whole wheat bread, but I was afeered of turned up noses.  So I made white bread.  My mommie's recipe again.  It turned out very pretty and everyone else scarfed down an entire loaf.  Don't tell them that they're pigs.  You can tell me, just not them.

Then, for the piece de resistance I made THIS.


Oh my freakin goodness.  You would have thought I was the most fabulous person in the world.  Okay, I kind of am because that was a lot of work, but it was worth it for the look on everyone's faces.  They asked for the recipe and everything.

So, I sent a loaf of bread with them.  Half the cheese soup.  (Don't even think about TOUCHING my minestrone because it's GOOD, and I can eat it) and 1/4 of the cake.  Don't worry. They gobbled down 1/4 of it at my house.  My family ate 1/8 of it because Hubbend is stingy so they only have 3/8 left.  Oh, and I gave them a jar of my strawberry jam.

Guess what?

I didn't eat a thing I wasn't supposed to.

So, for the long haul...how do you stay on track?


*photo one*
*photo two*

Oh, and as a challenge from the Mormonaries, I'm offering anyone who comments with a # after their comment a free Book of Mormon.  Just let me know you want one.  Or email me.

Comments

  1. Wow, lady! You are one master in the kitchen! So nice of you to feed those annoying people who knock on your door ;) I might just show up at your doorstep one day...for the company not the chocolate oreo cake of course :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that dessert is to die for. I'd become a Mormon if you'd make it for me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha! I'll make it for you. But don't worry about converting lady. Those puppy dog eyes of theirs...I can't stand them asking me to give away a book anymore. So...lazy man's way I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So all I have to do is pose as a Mormonite, and you'll feed me? I'm be right there....

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing! And that chocolate thing looks fabulous. Your post title reminded me of my grandmother, who used to say that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on staying clear of all of the TREATS you made for everyone else! :) I had to make cookies for a work party for my BF and I ignored every one of them- even the ones that came out as "rejects" that I could have easily popped in my mouth. lol GO US! :)

    I saw your comment asking if I knew any vegan bloggers for recipes- the only one that pops into my mind is Angela over at Oh She Glows. Hope that helps you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet you take care of the missionaries! Your will power is iron strong woman way to go!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. can I have your address because I totally want to knock on your door! YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a nice person. We don't have a large Mormon population here, but in Florida we did. I never thought to feed them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have the missionaries living with us! It's been fun!

    I bet they'd love to come to your house for dessert! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my son would fly back to your house for dinner if he could. You I think might feed these boys better then there Momas do. At least better then I do. He has had to have chicken legs and cow tongue, yes yes I am sure he would want to come eat at your house especially with that devine looking choco thinginy that sent me into a total drool. Your diet is sounding a bit like mine. You go girl you will make it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...