Skip to main content

Monsters at Dinner

At our house we are doing something new. I thought we would wait for a couple more years, but these kids are driving me crazy they really seem ready. I think they will benefit, and I will benefit.

It all started when someone said, "EW! Not again!" When I told them what was for dinner. For the umpteenth time. Rolling eyes, slumped forks, standoffs involving grouchiness on all sides, it was all too much. So instead of soliciting their suggestions-again-I put them in charge.

That's right.

I have a five year old in charge of my dinner this week.

The rules are that they have to be healthy, and that they also have to be affordable. So after a round of shooting down, which is so much fun, of mac 'n cheese, ramen noodles, and brownies for dinner, they chose something I deemed Dinner.

We made a list of what they needed. We went shopping. We practiced looking at nutrition labels. We checked out. Even Hubbend pitched in and made angel hair spaghetti last night. He was a little peeved when I insisted on whole wheat noodles. He's been to Italy, he's seen their collective BMI. I reminded him that they weren't here buying his food for him and we were good. Ish.

So today miss THANG is cooking her favorite meal, and tomorrow Beansprout is making everyone make their own sub sandwich. Genius, both of them really. Even if it makes the cooking part of dinner more difficult it is making one huge part of dinner easier. Responsibility. No more am I the only one bearing the burden of What to have, When to have it, If I have the right ingredients. At least one person at the table will like dinner.

Plus, they know how to cook at least one meal by the end of eternity. They know how to shop for it, plan for it, they know how hard it is to do what I do. I am saving their life really.

What a relief.

Whose life are you saving with food this week?

**Updated to add that MrsFatass is writing for us over at my new venture The Peanut Gallery Speaks. Please come visit her there and cheer her on!**

Comments

  1. That's right! Get the family involved. I TRY to do this with my kids, but it's only 35% success rate. And I do it because I lazy-hate to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this idea! Holy cow I love it. And you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I wish I had thought of that when mine were that age. And not it is like pulling teeth to get my teen to come up with ideas. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the MOST BRILLIANT IDEA on the planet. I am so totally stealing IT!!! YOU are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with Marisa, I'm stealing this idea as well - it's brilliant...why didn't I think of it? :) I've only read the past few days of your blog so far, but love it! Totally relate...look forward to following you. (Sounds stalkish.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES! What you're doing really WORKS! I started "meal planning" with my kids when they were tall enough to work safely in the kitchen (i.e....no chairs pushed up to the stovetop!). They are all teenagers now, and take weekly rotations planning and cooking dinner for the family. Teen Son#1 made hamburgers last night...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You. Are. Amazing! And you have an award over at my blog.
    Thank you for your perserverance and inspiration.
    Jae

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I just have to say that I love the way your write. I have zeor children, mainly bc they need attention and you have to buy them things, but I think it sounds like a wonderful plan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I just have to say that I love the way your write. I have zeor children, mainly bc they need attention and you have to buy them things, but I think it sounds like a wonderful plan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love it..for when I have kids (put in mental note file)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! Bring them into it and they'll feel better about it. Glad it's working out for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome. I have just been talking to my little one about helping me in the kitchen and hope to start getting him involved soon, even though he's only three. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this -- they will thank you for this....trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HaHA! I make Cody choose what we're eating all the time, so then he can't complain about not getting what he wants. Not that he does...but if he did, it would be silly. SILLY I SAY.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Huh! Food for thought ... no really ... you might have something there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so much better than eating monsters FOR dinner. Great idea...for realz....and a great memory maker too. Way to go Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! You are so smart to get them involved at such an early age!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I can relate!!

    My kids have started a blog devoted to their time in the kitchen (they are obsessed with cooking!) so they can share recipes and pics... have a peek...

    http://kimberlysculinarykids.blogspot.com/

    Have a great day! Kimberly

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...