Grandmother, on a winter's day,
Milked the cows and fed them hay,
Slopped the hogs, saddled the mule,
Then got the children off to school.
Did a washing, mopped the floor,
Washed the windows, and did some chores;
Cooked a dish of home-dried fruit,
Pressed her husband's Sunday suit.
Swept the parlor, made the bed,
Baked a dozen loaves of bread,
Split some firewood, and then lugged in,
Enough to fill the kitchen bin;
Cleaned the lamps and put in oil,
Stewed some apples she thought would spoil,
Churned the butter, baked a cake,
Then exclaimed, "For Heaven's sake.
The calves have got out of the pen!"
...Went and chased them in again.
Gathered the eggs and locked the stable,
Back to the house and set the table,
Cooked a supper that was delicious,
And afterward washed up all the dishes,
Fed the cat and sprinkled the clothes,
Mended a basketful of hose;
Then opened the organ and began to play,
"When You Come to the End of a Perfect Day."
Author Unknown
You wanna know why the author is unknown? Because she's got my bounty on her head and I'm hunting her down. As long as this person is female, I think I can rest if I just reason with her. If it's a man . . . I do believe I am going to have to spend some time in jail after I finish with him.
My mother put together a huge cooking bible cookbook in 1980 for church. On the front page-before even the title page-was this poem. Well, I'm sick of it. I ripped it out, and the only stop was for me to type it down to be mocked. Then it is going in the garbage.
I think I'll go grumble myself some cold cereal for breakfast before we turn into couch potatoes.
*please vote for Chickadee in the widget to the right.

Umm, wow. I now share your thirst for blood. Ick.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm voting.
I could so not have been that woman! But I bet she burned a heap of calories every day.
ReplyDeletewhat they forgot to mention in the poem was she was in a manic high that day ... rest of the time everything went to hell ;-)
ReplyDeleteLOL you're funny
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with you!
Want to go 50/50 on a hitman?
ReplyDeleteShe didn't drive a carpool...the kids walked to school. She didn't take anyone to dance, piano lessons, soccer, baseball, or football. She probably never took anyone to dentists and orthodontist appointments. A modern day poem could be written and I bet it would be pretty lengthy...
ReplyDeleteObviously, she was a complete idiot.
ReplyDeleteI'm with the wid0w. :3
ReplyDeleteThey forgot to mention that she died at age 35 from exhaustion!
ReplyDeleteI read this assuming it was sarcasm . . . . cause, um, really? No one could read that with a straight face? Could they? Could they?!?!?!?
ReplyDeleteBwahahahahaha!!
ReplyDeletei was just thinking i wouldnt mind if that was my grandma so I could sit on my ass all day and do nothing! she could add taking care of my kids to the list im sure :)...and yours too.
ReplyDeleteAnd didnt they forget to mention that she was drunk the entire time?
Lol! I don't think this woman ever existed, did she? If she did, this was just one day in her life and not the norm. I don't blame you for ripping it out of the book!
ReplyDeleteI love this poem, mostly because it makes me laugh. =)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comment on my blog today.