Skip to main content

Birthday Money

1.2.

3.4.


One of the few perks to having family far far away is that I get to have my birthday spread out over many days.  The birthday cards in the mail coming a little early (Thanks Foofer-doo) or a couple days late.  My mum likes to be unpredictable, so that adds to the suspense.  

This year she called me and informed me that I had missed an email to my account that I now use as a junk pile.  I had a gift card waiting for me.  I deftly rescued said gift card from the junk mail, and proceeded to mull over what I was going to get.  Lands End might not be the most trendy place around, but it is quality stuff.  Plus, I go for classics anyway and I thought I could pick up a few basics that fit for fall. As I entered the site, I saw a promotion for $15 off if you order more than $75.  Hah! I thought.  Not a chance.

So I look for something distinctive right off.  Yes, I am aware that this is irrational.  I love looking at their uniforms, because I imagine that my children might look like that.  Orderly.  In some universe somewhere.  Then, I felt the distinct need to not look at the uniforms.  That is when I found #1.  Loved it instantly and into the shopping bag it went.  Next came #2.  They are on sale for $4.99.  I cannot pass that up.  But I still wasn't over my birthday gift card limit.

So I evaluated and realized that what I really need is pants.  I outgrow pants the fastest, and Hubbend has been known recently to pinch the excess fabric while calling me, "Saggy Bum." Yes.  It is indeed a situation that needs rectifying.  That is one place I will always be voluptuous.  I do not need sagginess added.

Unfortunately that easily put me over my birthday card limit.  In the amount of my first two items.  But my mum ordered me to get something fun, so I wanted to keep them.  Of course.  So what do I do?  I add the most expensive item of course, and take advantage of the $15 off coupon.  I used a lot of smoke and mirrors to explain to Hubbend that it's $100 of merchandise, that we only had to pay $60 for.  He doesn't care.  He likes me to look good.  I'm the one with the justification issues.

So, the funny thing is-in fact the whole reason I am telling you this-that I ordered the pants too small.

On purpose.

I hereby declare that I will be wearing those size 14 pants by October.  Six weeks is the real goal, but honestly I have to take into account the unpredictability of my hamartia. I can't know if Chickadee is at a plateau for regressing or if she's going to get worse.  That's the biggest one.   They all came in the mail yesterday, completing my wonderful birthday week.  Thanks Mum and Dad!

So, do you have any crazy goals going on to motivate yourself? Do tell!

Comments

  1. You'll be in those pants before October, I predict. Love the scarf and top. Pants are great and versatile! A hoodie jacket in a neutral will serve you a long time.
    Love when birthdays go on and on and on...

    Hamartia? I certainly learned a new and never before heard by my ears term. This would be a great word for Fictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. I don't know what I do. Well, I refused to buy any new clothes in my current size this summer, because I kept telling myself it would be a waste. You know, because by NEXT summer I'm going to be at my mythical 'goal weight.' We'll see . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have often used clothing as motivation. Either something new or something I already have that isn't fitting correctly. I hang it right where it's the first thing I see when I open my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always feel the need to "justify" why I'm spending when it comes to me. My husband could care less and actually wished I would spend more on myself. I'm glad your getting yourself some great birthday loot. Enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yipee! Such nice birthday gifts you got yourself. Lands End has nice quality clothes, love their cotton tops, so soft and they wash up nice.

    I love to use clothes as a goal. Since my wardrobe contains everything from size 4-14 I have something to work towards!!! Okay so maybe that isn't a good thing after all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. declare it, baby! And now you've inspired me to scour my junk email bin for random gifts card notices. You think I'll find one in there??
    ((hugs)) to Chickadee! and you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is so funny because when I went to the doctor the other day I watched all of the women coming in the office and all of them were all girly, wearing cute floral prints and skirts and things, and I mentioned to hubs that I wish I looked like a girl instead of the frumpy lump that was sitting there.

    Yet, I hate clothes shopping, and doubt I will. Wonder if it would make me feel better if I did it?

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE all that you bought and you will be wearing those pants before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on setting a goal like that for yourself. Those look like some great pants and I'm sure you will be fitting into them before you know it.
    I did something similar in January, only I wasn't quite as daring as you were. I bought some pants that were quite a bit smaller, but only allowed myself to buy them because they were on clearance. No, real risk there! I CAN wear them now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have inspired me to buy some goal pants! I just told Hubby that when he gets paid tomorrow, I will be purchasing a pair of size 12 pants so that I have something tangible to motivate my butt to get moving. So thank you! And I love the things you picked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a justification Queen - sounds like you are pretty good at it too which serves us well. Seriously - so cute...and you deserve so much....love them all....and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would really like to get myself that valor hoody. Yep ... that's the one I like. Good luck with the pants thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have such a hard time finding pants that fit well that I have never dared order them in a too small size. A wee bit snug here or there, maybe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...