theirs...mine
As I was working with my chiclets alone this year it reminded me of our journey here. Toward a healthy lifestyle. A lot of work in a very short space of time. So that we can enjoy life better for a long while. It sure can be overwhelming at times.
Everybody knows that the best strawberry jam is freezer jam. Just doesn't stay that vibrant red color unless you barely kiss it with heat and then turn it into a jamberry popsicle. Cooked strawberry jam-the kind you can store on your shelf-is a dull autumnal color. Nothing like summer. Unless it's been ravaged by coloring or worse. Jelloed.
The whole opration sexification movement was supposed to help me not to 'overcook'. I tend to do more than I should for everyone else. My mum told me that my Gruma A never went to the store without touching up her lipstick. I used to think that was repressed. That she'd been duped.
It was traditional in my mums-and I'm sure in her mum's-kitchen to have bread coming out of the oven at the same time of the first batch of jam. I tried it for the first time last year. We are all on our own out here, and I'm forging our own memories. But something about me yearns for what I've known. To reconnect to where I've been, and to pass on simple pleasures. Hot bread smeared with a burst of pure summer.
So, when I went to the grocery store this weekends a million times to buy jam ingredients I thought about lipstick. Probably more than I should have because jam brain means that you can only think about one thing at a time, and I always forgot something. Apple juice, or sugar free pectin for my jam. Bottles, lids, or Chickadee's soymilk.
I know that jury is split on tampering with jam. I'm not going to spill it here or Gruma A might just turn over in her grave. The lovely lady never served fresh fruit without 1/4 cup of sugar sprinkled on it. But, I do know one thing. I'm going to strive to beautify myself like her through cosmetics and moderation.
She doesn't have to know about sugarfree jam. Nor do I have to wear blood red lipstick to get her message. Also, I know for some-Corletta on SouthBeach-it would have to be hard to see/read about thoughts like this when it isn't your plan. But, I also don't feel the need to make this tradition feel austere. For me that means white rolls instead of whole wheat. I only mention this because I could have, I know how.
Now I have a much healthier version of jam to put on sammiches for the year. Also I've participated in a food tradition guilt free. No binge, no deprivation, just happy memories warmed and made. Plus, I'm reminded to take better care of myself every time I look at them. All that time thinking about sexification and Gruma (I don't think she'd be apalled) have made them inseparable to me.
What are your favorite early summer traditions? Have you changed them to fit your lifestyle?



You have just described what we did as kids.
ReplyDeletePick our own strawberries then make some jam. mmmm was good stuff.
We also did cherry picking and many other things.
Just reading your post was a trip down my own memory lane.
I have never been a makeup person, but I have recently fell in love with lip gloss. They have SPF in them, so they are doing a much needed job anyway, and they brighten up my pasty complexion.
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Missa
LosingEthel
My entire growing up years we had a mostly vegetable dinner in August. Between whatever mom grew in her garden and the farmer's market she chopped and cooked all sorts of summer fresh produce goodness. There was corn on the cob; fried summer squash, zucchini, okra; sliced beefsteak tomatoes and cucumbers; sweet onions and greenbeans; and I say "mostly" vegetables because we would also have a HUGE chef's salad. Now you've got me thinking I should bring that tradition back.
ReplyDeleteI don't have any summer traditions - growing up, I didn't have a mother who lived anywhere near me, and my dad worked, and so there wasn't much traditionalizing happening, at least not at that time of year. But I realize that I need to make traditions for my own kids. We have them for other times of year, but I haven't come up with any for summer...
ReplyDeleteGood for you for making a tradition a little more healthy. I love nostalgia and I don't think you should have to give up such a wonderful tradition.
ReplyDeleteI need to create some traditions around here. Maybe I ought to start the freezer jam tradition at my house.
p.s. I never leave the house without lipstick on, either!
I'm pretty sure I never wanted strawberry jam so much in my life! In my house our only tradition is our vacations in August I guess. We spend two weeks, just three of us, in a wonderful place and we never get so close any other time of the year. Sadly (I hope) I'll have a job soon and we won't be able to go on our little family vacation with my family this year. And I'm hoping to be married by next summer. So I guess I'll have to find some other way to have that yearly recharge as a family from now on.
ReplyDeleteI was just thinking about that the other day. I'm not big on change and as we've all grown up, it seems we've lost alot of the traditions and things we did that create memories. So in a way, Jeff and I recreate them. Like dyeing Easter eggs, growing a garden together, even sewing, etc.
ReplyDelete(We hope when/if we can have kids, we can do all these traditions with them.)
You are wise to keep the memories, create your new ones and embrace your family traditions all at the same time. Love that!
ReplyDeleteWhat a delicious post! Summer traditions for us I think would be camping. We did it as kids and have done it now with our kids for the past 9 years or so. And what I'm doing different is THIS year, instead of just BRINGING the badminton game, I'm actually going to set it up and use it!
ReplyDelete