Skip to main content

Clean it Up

My kids are cleaning up their playroom.

It takes them hours of milling around to do ten minutes' good hard work. But, they are learning to focus you know. It's all about breaking it down into pieces. So now I take a picture of the crime scene and then we compare when the timer goes off ten minutes later.

Works like a charm. Nobody can argue with concrete evidence. There's a reason why before and after photos are so motivating. We can see progress.

It used to be that they would work hard, come and get me, and I would still see the same old junk that had been driving ME crazy as I stumbled through on the way to the treadmill. I couldn't tell they had picked anything up. We were all frustrated and about to become gremlins.

We broke it down, and we've been consistent. You know what? It's made it easier.

Yesterday, some of the comments made a lot of sense. Well, all of them did really, but these relate directly to what I'm pondering today.

Josie @ YumYucky said:
I know it doesn't make much sense (I think), but not eating sugar for so long makes me NOT want to eat it. Yesterday something weird happened and I craved it, but my no-sugar training gave me ample superpowers to tell it to shut da hellz up. Ya know?

KCL Anderson @ Before and After: A Real Life Story said:
I'm with Josie/YumYucky. The longer I go without eating sugar and/or any other type of thing I crave, the less I want it...and the more disappointed I am in whatever it is if I DO have it.

and finally Mishe @ Eating Journey said:
look at it as a lifestyle and not a diet.


I find that I agree. The more often I do it, the more consistent I am, the easier it is to do and keep doing. When I a problem that gets me off track, getting back in line is difficult. So, the longer I can go without straying makes it easier to get back to consistency. Am I making any sense people? Do you think it's easier to refrain then longer you go without?

*photo by trojanguy*
DON'T FORGET TO VOTE

Comments

  1. Totally agree it gets easier. I don't even want sugar anymore, and in fact when I do eat it I notice how much it makes me feel like crap. Same with any foods I've decided I'm not going to eat...diet coke, etc. They're really not that great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! The longer I'm out of sugar, the more glaringly apparent it becomes how much it affected me. I'm a totally different person in vs. out of sugar. And its scary who I become. Every bit of forward movement and progress I've made comes crashing down in two bites of a donut or 1/2 a snickers bar.

    Its not worth it. Its not worth the mental anguish and torment for 2 miliseconds of 'ahhh' in sugar. So, yep, abstaining confirms itself.

    Sober, good. Sugar drunk....hell. The longer out of sugar the more committed I am to living life out of it.
    Jae

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's getting sooo much easier. Last night I went to dinner with a high school friend I only see maybe twice a year. This is definitely a special occasion, so we did order a dessert plate. It was small bite-sized pieces of cheesecake, brownies, pound cake, fresh strawberries to dip in warm milk chocolate, etc. For the first time in my restaurant-eating life, I took a few small nips and left the rest. The dessert plate went more than half uneaten. This is major stuff. I feel in control. I AM in control! Dessert was a decision, not a pressurized situation filled with uncontrollable urges and guilt at the end. This is the eating lifestyle I've always wanted. And now I'm living it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally makes sense! I am finding that I don't miss it as much as I thought I would! The weirdest thing that is happening since being off sugar is that my taste buds seem to be coming alive! I am noticing the distinct tastes and flavors of food so much more. And fruit tastes so much sweeter than before!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved everything about this post!! Now you've got me thinking. By the way, sounds like you're a phenomenal mom!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know all about the joys of cleaning the playroom! I love your 'take a picture' idea. I am going to use that!

    I can see how going without sugar would get easier over time. I just have yet to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely. It definitely gets easier. Maybe it will never go away completely but I bet you'd find you just don't crave anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted to clarify that I do eat some sugar, but my goal is cut, as much as possible, packaged/processed foods with *added* sugar (I aim for no more than 5-7 grams per serving). If I were to make dessert myself, and add sugar, that's different, because I am in control of how much I add, not to mention what type.

    I think it's also important to choose your battles, so to speak. For example, I can have dark chocolate in the house and have a small square or two and be satisfied. But milk chocolate is a different story. I'll want to eat the whole thing. So a little bit of sugar in the form of dark chocolate is a much better alternative than a lot of milk chocolate.

    Another huge sugar issue for me used to be wine. I could drink a lot of it. And I think it's what caused me to crave sugar at other times. Now I am able to have a glass (or two) and stop. That's huge for me. I guess it helps that it makes me feel like crap if I have any more than that, or have it along with dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankfully, this is true for me as well, and for all unhealthful foods, not just sugar. Example: now that my MIL, SIL, et al, have finally gone home and I no longer have to stare down Hershey bars and bags of Lays chips . . . I don't crave them, don't even think about that kind of stuff! It took about 1 week or 2 to get back in a good frame of mind, but definitely the key for me is out of sight, out of mind -- IF I'm consistent about it.

    Yay You!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the photo idea for the kids cleaning. I am having a battle of their bedrooms! Great work. I am totally going to try that ... no, rephrase that ... not "try" it ... I am totally going to achieve that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally true!!! It takes my kids HOURS to finish their jobs too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant idea from a brilliant mom...or should I say Superwoman?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! I hope it gets easier! What a mom you are!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...