Skip to main content

But, I Can't Reach!


Staring at Beansprout-who has grown six inches in two months-I marvel at his height. I just gave birth to the boy. Five years seems like nothing.

"Look at me Mommy! I can reach it now. Cause I'm tall enough."

After the requisite pumping of his fledgling ego, I stared at him. He is probably about a third of his adult height. It's absolutely amazing.

Right now, there are bumps in the road.

In more ways than one. Beansprout has temper tantrums. I have problems not eating my emotions. Seems we're both working on getting ourselves under control.

But we will. One day at a time. When Beansprout demands a full grown St. Bernard, or begs to jump off the roof like his favorite hero for a zillion hours, it's tempting to revert to insanity. Only when I refuse to become involved in the drama am I able to steer him clear of a bigger meltdown.

It's very interesting. No bargaining. No threatening. Just a calm low voice. Making clear standard expectations. What we've been talking about for eternity.

It seems to be hypnotic. When I make behavior something that exists-completely separate of mood-it is easier for Beansprout to behave. He is still upset. He still desperately wants. But he is in control of himself again.

We mess up of course. All the time. But it's not like you can just give up on a human being. I mean really. Who cares if it was me that yelled like a banshee or Beansprout was pushed past hunger and tiredness to the brink of inhumanity. Time keeps rolling and more opportunities present themselves.

Beansprout is going to grow up. What matters is in the river of life is the current on my toes. Not the waterfall downstream, nor the log about to give way upriver.

So. Put the cupcake down and move it.


*photo by reneerk*

Comments

  1. Treasure every temper tantrum and every horrid moment. They're a part of the process and according to my mom, the house got extremely quiet when I grew up. She didn't like that.

    Man, kids grow fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of growing! I am impressed with how you can simply calm the tantrums. Jess is right... they grow up fast! Although some days it seems they can't get there fast enough:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't give up on them, you don't give up on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so interesting that Jess said what she did in her first comment. For some reason over the last few days, I've been missing the days when all the kids were still at home and noise and chaos were the rule of the day. So true that things get very quiet and different when they're grown and gone. It's great having one at home for the summer, but I think it's even a little weird for him!

    That said, I remember times when it seemed like the custodial care of young ones seemed endless and I couldn't wait "for the next phase". Your sudden awareness of Beansprout's increasing height is a preview of the blink of an eye that their growing up becomes!

    I'm hanging in with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so hard not to react to the tantrums, though! My hubby and I went to hear a man speak about child behavior once, and the thing that really stuck out was "they want to make you dance. There is nothing more entertaining than watching you dance." They are trying to make you react for their own pleasure. So I strive to not get worked up and give them what they want. SO HARD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok, I never thought of things this way. Usually I'm just trying to manage the chaos and tempter tantrums that I don't even think about how they compare to me!

    and i love your last line! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE YOU MORE!!!! Your posts and comments ALWAYS ENCOURAGE me!!! Thanks mama!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just can't wait anymore to be a mama! That's that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure it's much easier to yell and holler, but your calm and tactful manner will pay off tremendously. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The other day my son was talking about when he wears big boots like his daddy... oh man! I can wait for that. They grow too fast. My daughter will be 6 yrs old in 10 days... Oh my. Time flies that's for sure.
    Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I work on this all the time since there are so many and they go through the same stages at varying times. We always have time out outside on the deck because they do not get to damage our ears with thier noise. Some figured it out really quick and get back into control quickly, others well it took few more outside moments to control thier little spirits. Mom and Dad sometimes need the timeouts also especially when it's been a rough tough emotional or tireing day. Keep up the calm voice you are my hero. I tend to start the yell if there is not a response. I get to work on that always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, now you've done it -- you made me cry!

    " Who cares if it was me that yelled like a banshee or Beansprout was pushed past hunger and tiredness to the brink of inhumanity. Time keeps rolling and more opportunities present themselves. . . . What matters in the river of life is the current on my toes."

    I also love the allusion to forgiving ourselves. So true, so important, so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to meet both you and beansprout. I think you have an excellent handle on things. This is my first visit here but I'll be back. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully written! Are you writing a book? You really should.

    Beansprout is lucky to have you as his mom.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thing One and I go around and around. He's strong willed and emotional and, well, so am I. And I forget to use YOUR voice - the one that teaches appropriate behavior separate from emotion - and I often fall into the OTHER voice. The mean mommy one. And I'm generally pretty sure I'm messing him up all the time.

    So. Today I'm going to start over. Try again. Do my best. Thanks for the post about your wonderful Beansprout.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww!!! Sweet!!! Beansprout is lucky to have you as his mummy. I'm glad you were able to manage your and his feelings in such a productive way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...