She can make bread from scratch and grind her own wheat. She has for the thirty years I've known her. She's the best baker I know, including the uncle who bakes artisan bread everyday for a living.
When I came home from school, I haunted her with long regaling stories of my soap opera friends. They weren't all that interesting, I was just obsessive. I tried to figure out the psychological motivation behind everything. It must have been so boring.
In elementary school she used to draw pictures on my lunch sack every day. On Valentine's day there were stuffed felt hearts in our coat sleeves, boots, and backpacks. On Halloween there were popcorn balls and sugar cookies. On birthdays there were posters celebrating all over the house. We doorbell ditched our neighbors regularly with goodies.
She had dinner every single night and she talked to us. We did spelling and multiplication memorization. High standards, good hard work ethic, and integrity are the hallmarks of her lessons.
My Mum made us all feel important.
Happy Mother's Day Mum. I'm so excited to see you today.
i love you

I strive to live the "made us all feel important" sentence.
ReplyDeleteOh goddess, I hope one day that my children can reflect so well upon me.
ReplyDeleteYour mother sounds like one hell of a special lady.
This is so beautiful! Have a great time with your amazing mother.
ReplyDeleteGrowing up the worst compliment I could get was "You're just like your mother!" Now it's the best, ever. Have a wonderful time with your special Mom.
ReplyDeleteYour post made me cry. My mom died when I was 23 - before I had time to really know her and forgive her for being however she was that never felt like enough. But she had such pain and lonliness in her life that I couldn't recognize until I got older and stopped blaming her for everything. My most fervent hope is that we are reunited in the next realm and I can know her, acknowledge her and love her as she deserved to be loved.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post...what a great mom :) She's also very blessed to have you for a daughter.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful tribute to your mom. She sounds amazing and I can feel your love for her.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy every moment with her!
Your Mom sounds just like my Mom. What a blessing we got!
ReplyDeleteHow beautiful... I went next room to give my mother a hug as soon as I read your post. ♥
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful tribute!!
ReplyDeleteMum rocks. :3 Give her pokes from me, and I hope she returns the favor.
ReplyDeleteBEAUTIFUL!
ReplyDelete