Skip to main content

Can You Tell Me How to Get?



We got rid of our television when we were too cheap to pay for cable.  I had most of our important child distraction educational videos online.  I cried a little.  But we made it through.

It was hard.

Then came online streaming video.   My mother had strict limits on television watching.  I still had no self control. I revel in watching what I want when I want. Given Chickadee's condition, it's been Beanspout's babysitter for quite some time during therapy and doctor appointments.

Let's just say there is no POINT to my proclaiming self-righteously, "We have no TV."  We are still couch potatoes. Worse than we intend to be.  What is boggling my mind is that I am changing my life.

I've lost 28 pounds yet I watch videos on the treadmill.  I sit and blog.  I surf the blogosphere and siphon off inspiration from others.  Yes, it helps me not eat.  Yes, it keeps me very busy.

But, I want a different lifestyle.  I want to jump up and go to the park.  I want to challenge my kids to beat me in a race across the parking lot.  I want my kids to respond like it's fun instead of like it's an assignment.  I want to keep myself 'pretty' and have miss THANG watch me like a hawk.

I can see how I want it to be.  I can plan it.  I'm failing at BEING it.

How do I get from there from here?

Comments

  1. Ahhhh the question of the digital ages! It's hard. There are SO many times when we'll sit and watch tv with me on my laptop, Tom on his computer, John on HIS computer.

    For HOURS.

    It's not as bad when it's just me & John after Tom heads to work because I'm for more apt to grab the boy and take him to the park or wherever ... or even to the basement to ride our exercise bikes ... but even then his is hooked to the tv as a video game.

    So, unfortunately, I have no answers. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive no answers either really as I think its all what works for us individually in a way.
    for me the tv is a keeperKEEPER (sad I realize :)) but I "use" it the way I do diet coke (another keeper SAD I REALIZE. one a day. needed or not).

    I match my tv/connected time with a parallel MOVING DISCONNECTED TIME.

    watching RHOC?
    I have to also play VIGOROUSLY at the park with the child for the same length of time.

    for me
    right now
    it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive no answers either really as I think its all what works for us individually in a way.
    for me the tv is a keeperKEEPER (sad I realize :)) but I "use" it the way I do diet coke (another keeper SAD I REALIZE. one a day. needed or not).

    I match my tv/connected time with a parallel MOVING DISCONNECTED TIME.

    watching RHOC?
    I have to also play VIGOROUSLY at the park with the child for the same length of time.

    for me
    right now
    it works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh! I love the time match plan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need the answer too! Good dialogue and thoghts already going . . . I'll be watching. Um, watching THIS. Not T.V., I mean. I mean . . . oh, heck, whatever works for now, as MIZ said. But I DO want to change also! Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is amazing to think back to when I was growing up and how little access we had to all things technical. My kids don't get that. The notion of no video games and no cable tv and no DVD or even VCR. We played outside. Or used our imaginations. Sometimes the advancements of technology are great and add much to our lives, but sometimes not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good post- interesting point- you can be a couch potato without the t.v.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a computer potato big time - especially since I run an online business.
    I don't have an answer to this one - if you find it, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL...computer potato. That's me too. I do have my treadmill desk, which helps. I also think it's important to stop beating ourselves up over these things we think we shouldn't be...we are doing are best, mostly. We're aware...we're making progress. Sometimes striving for perfection gets in the way of good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure how to answer that. I am not a T.V. watcher unless I am on the treadmill. The coumputer though well I could forget to get off that at times. I usually get booted off when the kids hit our house so summer should be interesting (&we only just 5 months ago got highspeed internet). The Hubby makes everyone spend time outside if not the whole house would explode with the testostrone that is inside it. Boys are also very competitive so they ususally drag me out for a race or to ride bikes. We also have lots of animals that demand care and that gets you out. I guess the hour out for and hour watching is a good exchange to manage if there is an addiction going on with the TV or computer or Gaming or sitting reading over activity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the only way its going to work is if you dont plan, you just do. Like Nike says...

    You can have a bag packed with everything you would need waiting in the wings for that inspired idea of going and doing...and when that happens, immediately head for the door. No thinking, just doing.

    Thats what works for me. Also, posting in my blog about what Im going to do so in some way it holds me accountable...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great post!

    I think you have to behave your way to success. Like Dr Phil says, BE committed, DO what it takes and you will, HAVE what you want.

    I was constantly at the parks with my kids when they were little. I made play dates with other mom's for every week. We would take our lunch and eat at the park and play.

    We rode bikes together.

    I was also an activities coordinator for a stay at home mom's and kids group. I scheduled field trips for us to fire stations, the zoo,grocerystores,museums,miniature golf and all kinds of fun things.

    I also planned craft days at home, cooking days where I would let them choose a recipe out of a kids cookbook. We cleaned house together too. My daughter couldn't wait until I would let her clean the toilet! We laugh about that now.

    Just start with one day this week and do it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have no room to talk, Wii Fit has been a big part of my exercise, though I haven't been doing it as much as of late.

    ReplyDelete
  14. great post because i think A LOT of us are struggling with this right now. I too spend way too much time on the computer...sitting on my beeehind for hours on end. (especially at night, into the wee soul sucking hours)

    I recognize that i need to change, yet I don't.

    I think we might need a techno-intervention? A pledge to unplug together!

    as for your kids, they will adapt quickly to your choices, so let's get up and play right now! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Hippity Hop

I hope it doesn't matter that it's been a week or so since my post on her...but I do have a fabulous special needs daughter.   THIS   and   THAT   are my most recent musings on Special Needs parenting. I'm not sure what I think about either one. It's about being out in public.   Thanks to Sunday at Adventures in Extreme Parenthood   I can handle this blog hop on a week as crazy as this.  I'm excited to visit all these excellent blogs. Stay tuned next week though, for updates on Chickadee's G-tube surgery, moving and The Beast and it's sugar-free diet.  Thanks for playing along at home. I really couldn't do it without you all. Oh, and visit my Facebook Page to see how my weigh-in went this week for GAG.   **I just figured out that  Super Mommy to the Rescue  and Autism Learning Felt  are the sponsoring blogs.  Please follow them if you link up!