Skip to main content

A Leetle Squirrley Here


So. Moderation.

This is going to be harder than I thought. I'm officially off sweets again. At least for a week or so to get myself under control. I didn't crash. I just let it swerve a little.

Scared me to death.

I know for sure that I have a huge problem if I swear off sweets forever. I know for sure that I have a huge problem eating just a little bit too. I already know I can't live with eating all-I-can-eat sweets, that's why we're here in cyberspace together.

Definition of a conundrum, that's what that is.

I'm on 'vacation', which means I'm visiting Southern Relatives on a Holiday. There is candy everywhere. Not to mention lunch dessert, snack dessert and dinner dessert. At least we're not the kind of family that deep fries candy bars. There is that.

I've kept up on my miles. But today I was hoping to get out and walk just to freshen up my mind and forget about candy for an hour. But TOM cramps-shut up Jack Sh*t this is legitimate-left me curled in a ball. I know that they would've lessened up if I'd just have walked. But I didn't. I lay on the bad. And I may have cried a weensy bit when nobody was looking. Boo. Poor me.

Please tell me. I know many of us are here because we have exactly the same problem. But has anyone conquered anything and been able to add it back in moderately? Typical addictions don't apply, and I feel guilty about comparing it to an addiction. Anyway . . .

H E L P !
*photo by Two Big Paws*

Comments

  1. Feel better.

    I have to come all the way off sweets for a time whenever I'm trying to get back on track. Easter was a killer, as it is every year for me. I don't know for myself if I'm ever going to be a moderation person. I know for today I'm not, so for today, no sugar. Fruit is fine. But no sugar.

    Enjoy your vacay ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can an addiction ever be conquered? I don't think so. I have a very addictive personality and whatever i get hooked on, i then have to totally go without it when i realise i have a problem with it :o/
    But in saying that, i have a big problem with booze and am always trying to find a way around giving it up. I'm doing ok so far lol
    I have a sweet tooth too. Try bargaining with yourself and using the sweet stuff as a reward. I'm using the booze as a reward and it's working nicely ATM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy... I have to cut all sweet or I'm not gonna survive this thing. I doesn't ever change for me. It's like being in AA. "Wine counts" One sip and you're off the wagon. One trick I have for myself is I have just a little bit of ice cream to dip my fruits in. That for some reason doesn't make me wanna eat more. And when I have a whole apple sliced perfectly, dipping it in one scoop of plain ice cream takes a little longer to eat so may be that's where my satisfacyion comes from. But I can't really use chocolate ice cream honestly I would have the whole box full of it and then some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave up soda and then added it back. It worked for a few months until recently. I crashed... I didn't just swerve... Ha! You're writing cracks me up. Maybe it's time for me to do the same... and take soda out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same problem (different food) and wonder if I can ever eat something in moderation that I know I sooo want and have always overeaten in the past. Maybe, like any true addict, I need to just avoid it. Maybe if I do that long enough I will not miss it any more?

    I can't wait to see if anyone tells you that they are managing to add back their candy or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so - first of all - love the picture (I'm a motorcycle racer so it's near and dear to me! and second of all - still haven't managed to give up sugar. And it's a gateway drug for me - leads me straight to binging. I'm restricted it a LOT but haven't given it up...I keep telling myself I haven control. But I keep being wrong about that. There's a lesson in there, I don't even have to look that hard.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Food in and of itself is super tricky because you need "some" to survive. Is it a true addiction? Or is it that you always binge with sweets because that is always what you do?

    Habits can be changed, of course. Even if you have to use sheer willpower.

    I do believe addictions can be managed but probably never completely conquered.

    No help I know but that's all I got.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still working on it over here. Fighting the good fight while going with the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well...I was able to eat a bit of a brownie yesterday and not overindulge. Sweets and some carbs....yum....love them. I just have to keep reminding myself that eating them is not the problem. Eating them until I am sick is the problem :) Moderation and self-control...this is what I try to practice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the same problem with sweets! I acutally just posted a little about it today.

    I know we can do this, though. We will have to re-train our minds and bodies to know it is okay and satisfying to have just a little once in awhile.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are right it is a problem for many of us and that is one of the reasons we have found one another in the blog world.

    Sugar is a controlled substance for me!After the books I have read, I believe it can be an addiction.

    Have you read Dr Kessler's book "The End of Overeating" I did a book review and wrote a little bit about what he has to say about food addictions on my blog. If you use the tab on the top of my home page that says motivation it will take you to a link for that posting.

    Reading that book filled in so many missing pieces to the puzzle of food cravings and the feeling of no control.

    Kessler says ” Chronic exposure to highly palatable foods changes our brains, conditioning us to seek continued stimulation. Over time, a powerful drive for a combination of sugar, fat and salt competes with our conscious capacity to say no.”

    I have not given up sweets or sugar but I do eat them in a different way in order to maintain control.

    I don't eat sweets on an empty tummy, I have them after a balanced meal in order to control the impact on my blood sugar. I don't have sugary sweets every day, they are a special treat and the more I have them the more I want them. The less I have of the sweets, the less I want it.

    For me it is easier not to start eating certain things than it is to stop eating them.

    Kessler's book explains why.

    Dr Phil says that our weight is managed never cured. I am working at managing mine.

    I hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I first started losing my weight I did a total taboo on sweets. It was a good thing for me.

    Eventually I could add in sweets without too much of a problem. There were definitely times I overdid it, but I just gave myself a talking to and got back on track.

    You can do this!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...