Skip to main content

BEST IDEA EVER



How to eat right and exercise.

STAY HOME.

That is all.

. . .

. . .

. . .

If not possible, move as much as you can. Always away from the kitchen.

Come borrow Chickadee as an excuse for a walk. She upsets easily you know . . . all those people.

Just back away. Or run.

. . .

. . .

. . .

Seriously though. I want to have a conversation about your best traveling tips are for staying healthy. Let's see what everyone says. Yesterday's comments really did help me wrap my head around sugar's vice like grip on me. Do we have any wisdom to spare about traveling and relative's expectations? Eating, Fitness, and Social Expectations, please.

*photo by KalerBlind { Im Back for Sexy No JutSu }*

Comments

  1. Eating: Plan ahead. Research restaurants, go to the grocer and buy some produce.

    Fitness: Bring a DVD or scope out a park ahead of time

    Social: Tell the people around you what your dietary needs are. No need to be going to a burger joint, when you are searching for a salad!

    Cheers,
    Missa
    LosingEthel

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I travel home to family, we have one side that will remain nameless (MINE) who are gracious hosts who are always very interested in trying to get everybody's needs and preferences met. It makes them happy to do so, and because of their willingness, even when they don't get it all right the effort means everything. We have another side of the family that will remain nameless (HIS) who takes every special need or request as an insult to the way they eat or what they had planned.
    So, we've just developed a thick skin, we decide what our top priorities are, and let some of the little things go. Oh, and we drink an absolute TON of water. I don't know that it actally does anything, but it's better than drinking a ton of vodka in these situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Missa - plan, find restaurants with good choices for yourself, bring your own food, especially snacks. What about offering to cook a meal and making it diet friendly?

    I usually try not to talk about being on a diet around family. I don't like to get any comments about how I am choosing to live or what I am or am not eating. But that can make it hard. And on my last vacation, with friends, I did indeed get asked about the beans I had brought to eat for breakfast everyday.

    My other advice, find time for yourself somehow. A walk, an errand.

    Traveling and dieting are a tough combination. Adding in other people makes it even tougher! Good luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walk....lots and walk of walking, like a million miles (slight exaggeration) of walking!

    I went to Pittsburg for a few days over last Thanksgiving, ate like it was going out of style, but I walked all over the city (and worked out in the hotel fitness room a bit) and still manage to pull off a respectable loss...somehow...

    Hope that helps, ah who am I kidding, its pretty crappy advice :-P But I have yet to find the real answer to your question.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deliberate exercise is the best thing I know of to combat the traveling blues. Especially just getting out there and walking any and every time you can. So much time in hotel rooms or guest rooms and in the car well, it tends to back things up if you know what I mean.

    Food is hard. Period. Especially when you're dependant on other people and their cooking. Small, teeny portions, do the best you can. Which, I know is no advice at all.

    Social, well that usually involves food too, doesn't it. I stir things around a lot. Water down drinks, or nurse them. Claim an allergy if necessary.

    It's all hard. I've always said do the best you can in the circumstances you're under. Then let it go. Move on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walking and Water. The food is something that is often beyond your control when you are traveling... you can do your best to make good choices, but there are times when there is nothing good available. You can control what you are drinking and you can take time for walking or other exercise. Walking and water, the key to getting through traveling somewhat on plan (at least in my opinion).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Decide with absolution that you'll stick to your eating plan and do it! Wherever you go when eating out, there will be a healthy option. If at a friends/relies place. Eat whatever satisfies you and no more. If offered desert, just say thanks but you're full.
    And before eating anything, drink lots of water to fill you up.
    Do you count calories? If so, do it while you are away to keep you on track.
    Walk wherever you can. If anything, there has to be a block you can walk around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow...that is a tough one for me. Eating well and extended family don't mix well for me at all. That may be from all my "history" though..

    I would say try your best to stay connected to who you are away from there and remember what your goals are. I, for instance, get so wrapped up in the family...that I kind of get lost. Just try to be balanced...not perfect.

    I'm not sure if this response makes any sense to you or not...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know what to tell ya! I am going camping on the weekend of the 16th... I *may* skip weigh in that Tuesday. Beer, and BBQ will soon be added to my list of food from He**! I am going to BJs to buy a S load of chicken for myself. Good thing my kids will be going with my MIL that weekend or I would have to deal with pop tarts, twinkies and Soda as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stay home. Exactly. I can't wait to move from my parent's home to my own next year though. Cos this "home" has so much junk I get scared sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Missa-Thank you. I did get to the grocery store last night. It's so nice to have fruit, veggies, and salad to add to meals. I can eat what they have and eat healthy. Hubbend told them for me. So they all know. I just have to move my butt!

    @MrsFatass-Yesh. We have the same thing. Although in my case, I think it might have something to do with me being uncomfortable in the first place. Good thing Chickadee got rid of most of my shyness. ;) That thick skin comes in handy.

    So, I've been drinking water like it's my vodka. Because it is. You're right. Socially this is hard.

    @Waisting Time-I've been wanting to cook a meal. As soon as Chickadee stays settled, I'm going to. My trip to the grocery store was definitely uplifting. I do need to find time for me. Hubbend isn't with me right now. (I'm at a resort with family so FIL can rest without kids) And it's stressful to find time/child care to get exercise in. Or a shower. *_*

    @Steve- Noted. Kick my butt please. I feel a bit trapped at this resort. I'll just have to go soon.

    @Helen- You are so right. So. Right. Kick me please! I MUST go this afternoon. Even if Chickadee is screaming like a banshee in her stroller. She can deal. She won't but it scares me.

    Teeny portions is my solution to everything here lately. I hadn't thought about watering down drinks. I like your advice to do my best and let it go. This won't ever happen again so...I don't need to make lifelong plans here.

    @Laura-I really need to drink more water. Water. Water. Without my special cup of 32 oz. of water, I've been slacking. And please, feel free to stand in line to kick my butt out the door for a walk.

    @CactusFreek- I love your advice to drink up on water before I eat. No treats 'cause I got scared. So, I'll just have to walk MORE.

    @Mrs. L- You totally resonated with me today. I tend to just fade away and blend into whatever they 'need' at the moment. At least Chickadee keeps me grounded.

    @Nikki- Scary huh? I'm having nightmares, and I'm awake.

    @River-I wish that worked. I so wish...But, I'm glad I'm here now that I came. I'm just scared and nervous and not at all confident.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl....you find out...let me know. I;ll be honest with you, my vaca is when this whole thing started taking a turn for the worse. It was not until I got back that I could get a strong handle on it! Now...good ever sense. Hang in there :) It's not permanent!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You already have been given tons of good suggestions, these bloggers are smart!

    I have gone as far as shipping a box of non perishable foods to our destination so I could have things I am use to eating. That is a little extreme but my health is worth it.
    If we travel by car we take a cooler with fresh fruit, veggies, yogurt and such. If staying with family we go to the grocery store and bring in some things we want to have on hand. If we stay in a hotel with a frig we do the same thing.

    I figure that if people who are vegetarian, only eat organic, are diabetic or have food allergies can make special food requests,not eat certain things because of their health issues or convictions of how they want to eat, why can't I do the same? They have a lifestyle that they are trying to adhere to and so do I.

    I also pre-eat, I will eat something healthy that is protein based, prior to going to a function so that if there isn't a lot for me to choose from I am not starving to begin with. A boca burger on a wheat bun is low calorie but high in protein and it works great for this.

    In a restaurant if I don't see anything on the menu that will work for me, I will ask if they can make me something special-I have never been told no.

    My good health depends upon it and I don't want to let "me" down.

    We always take our walking shoes and we explore on foot as much as we can. This year we are going to take some exercise bands with us for some resistance training.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Planning as best as you can! I always take my shoes and exercise whenever and wherever I can. When we eat out I make careful choices and try not to think that I'm on "vacation" but rather that I'm there to visit the location/family/friends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...