
Goal #1 for my Me So Hongry mini challenge was to FIX REAL FOOD. Apparently this is a bigger problem for me than I thought.
Denial. Not just the name of a river in Egypt.
I was thinking that I did just fine with this. I got a little busy sometimes, and picked up fast food. Also, there were a few days that I didn't have time to fix dinner and so we ate pantry scroungings. But I thought MOST OF THE TIME I got a great meal on the table.
HA, HA HA HA. That is so NOT true. Sorry. I'll stop yelling at you with my type. I hadn't realized how badly off track I was until I began to track myself for this challenge. Really trying hard resulted in me getting 4 dinners on the table. Dinners that did not resemble even remotely my ideals. You know the ones. Freeze your eyeballs. Don't you dare let them roll! Yes, it is the Tasty Food, Real Food, and Simple Food.
I'm heaving sighs of deep realization. Chickadee and her requisite lifestyle have turned us all into crappy eaters. Okay, so it's not her fault at all. It's me. It's all me. Now, now. I promise I'm not beating myself up. I'm letting my church bring me dinner once a week. Believe me, that is a big deal. I'm usually the one taking the dinners. Or I was. I'm just starting to realize that piecing my life together is tougher than planned. And bigger.
So, I've decided I have to start smaller. I'm going to make it my goal to go grocery shopping on Mondays. Which means planning out a menu, making my list, and getting it done. It is my first stumbling block and my biggest excuse. Gone.
Goal #2 is for me to do the two fitness DVDs on my shorter cardio workout days and get a little strength training in.
That is all. As you can see it is all about the food for me. Exercise helps me lose weight initially, but my bigger deeper issues are with food. The exercise gives me confidence and purpose, plus that little boost which gives me the energy to tackle the real problems. Dinner- here we come.
These are great, achievable goals. Don't be too hard on yourself though as you have legitimate reasons (notice I didn't say "excuses") why you have to make adjustments sometimes.
ReplyDeleteGood luck! I'm pretty good about the exercise, and generally just like to eat too much. Food is my struggle too.
ReplyDeleteYou'll get it, just give it some time. Frozen veggies are always helpful (and just as nutritious as fresh, if not more), as are the pre-packaged portions of chicken. Eventually you'll have a core arsenal of quick, good dinners that you can rotate and cook like a pro!
ReplyDeleteGood achievable goals. Start small. Tiny. One little thing that you can succeed at will bouy your confidence and resolve to try another tiny thing. Good job.
ReplyDeleteI struggle every day to get a healthy family dinner on the table. I am not a good cook. And I spent years happily eating crap and snacks instead of real meals. I told myself my boys were happy with frozen pizzas and chicken nuggets. Now I work at planning and getting those meals made. But still love the days I have an excuse not to do it!
ReplyDeleteProviding HEALTHY meals is a lot different than just putting something on the table. It does take planning, like you said. It's always good to keep staples in the house for easy meals when you don't have a chance to get to the store on Mondays. My two favorite fall back dinners are scrambled eggs or whole wheat spaghetti with marina sauce. (I make mine with canned tomatoes and add seasonings myself instead of buying prepared sauce.)
ReplyDeleteIt really is a wonderful goal you have that will positively affect you and your children.
Food is my struggle. Plant me on a treadmill all day...take away my chocolate....watch out!!
ReplyDeleteI have a crazy life when it comes to dinner. Since I have 2 teens and a husband in the medical field, I don't know when or who will be home for dinner on a regular basis. It's very difficult and frustrating. Good luck with your dinner dilemna.
I'm with you on the dinner issue. That's my goal for this week. Let's both make our goal, okay? Thanks for being there and traveling this road with me :)
ReplyDeleteYou can do it. I like your goals - they are definitely defined and doable!
ReplyDeleteMe so Hongry, LOL!
ReplyDeleteI love reading your progress. It seems to me that you are really peeling back the layers (even if they are so painful) to get at the meaty issues that are keeping you from where you want to be. You are doing marvelous. One of my fav. quotes from Chieko Okasaki is, "God does not measure who is standing on a ladder and who is standing on a chair {or something like that}. He doesn't measure height. He measures growth." Keep it up! I'll email you via FB when I don't have a squirmy baby on my lap:)
ReplyDelete