
Today is Beansprout's birthday. That's right, in order to further my child's voracious appetite for reading, I gave birth to him on the same day as Dr. Suess. Lucky boy. I walked into a store one year and bought a 50th anniversary edition of The Cat in the Hat and realized it once and for all. I'd given birth to a genius by virtue of his birthdate.
Actually, I couldn't have planned his delivery date if I'd tried. Beansprout gave me Braxton Hicks for two weeks. TWO WEEKS! Anyone who's ever seen this episode of friends knows that the entire world does not take Braxton Hicks seriously. No, I got so sick of going into the office and the hospital and they were telling me, "Oh, you're at about a 1" or "Oh, you're at about a 2. That's normal for a woman who's had a child. Go home. Take a walk and come in if it gets worse."
I wanted to scream at them. I wanted to yank the stinking equipment out of the wall and throw it. Not painful. Mild. Bah.
Suffice it to say that I HAD MY REVENGE!!! I had such 'mild' Braxton Hicks that I did not know I was in labor until I was already in TRANSITION! Transition people. That is the stage where the picture looks like this:
That would be a 10 on the pain scale for TRANSITION. In case you were wondering.They did not have time to check me in. I barely got my gown on. I about shut Hubbend's nose in the car door as he was trying to be the Sherpa for his 10 day journey at the hospital. Or something. There was no nurse to grab the Beansprout. There was no doctor. Fifteen minutes is not enough notice to get anybody there. Everyone was yelling at me, "Stop pushing! Stop pushing!" and I was yelling back, "I CAN'T" Then he was there. The Beansprout, all 10.3 pounds of him. Had to be a heavy weight once in his life, right?
So, that-in a nutshell-is how I know that I can do this. How I know I can do anything I need to. Because women have been having babies since the dawn of time. And because Our Bodies WORK. I just need to get back in touch with that body I've buried.
How about you? How is it that you know you are strong?
*photo credit 2*
I think we women all have a lot of inner strength. I guess we just have to get back in touch with that strength to get us through this part of our journey, the journey to thin. Thanks for reminding me how strong we really are.
ReplyDeleteGreat post. Yes, we are so much stronger than we think we are. I have learned in the gym that I am much stronger than I ever believed possible.
ReplyDeleteDon't you hate when they say "Stop pushing.." I mean seriously...at that point the body takes over.
Happy Birthday to Beansprout :)
That is a big baby! I have always said that if men had the babies there would be a lot less kids in the world:)
ReplyDeleteMy own story... I was very calm in labor with number two and the nurse kept saying "oh your not far along honey." She finally checked me and I was dilated to 10! She ran out to get my doctor who did make it in time.
wow you are strong
ReplyDeleteand happy b day to beansprout
i couldnt push out my 11 pound baby i had to have a c section
geez you are toooooooo strong
Happy Birthday to your Sprout! I have a fondness for Dr. Suess as I won an oral recitation award at a 4H Convention by doing my own dramatic version of Green Eggs and Ham. (I was all of 9 years old.) I know I'm strong because every time in my life I've been knocked down - by job loss, by deaths, by financial issues, by divorce, I have gotten right back up and started again. I can honestly say today that I have a really good life.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Beansprout!
ReplyDeleteMy son's class has been reading Dr. Suess books and doing projects for the last week preparing to celebrate his birthday today. Today they were suppose to wear 'silly' clothes in celebration, clothes that don't match, two different shoes, silly hats..My son didn't want to do that..lol.
I know I'm strong because I've been through so much in my short life time already and I've survived it all and made it through stronger than ever before. So much more than I can post here but I've been through ALOT.
If men had to have babies there wouldn't be the human race. Way to show the hospital stafdf who's boss.
ReplyDeleteBy myself I am nothing. I have alot of help even in the hard times!
Holy cow, woman, what a birth story! Having delivered a 9lb, 13oz girl, I can say I have a sympathetic "ouch" for you, lol.
ReplyDeleteI came to your blog through the Apron Stage. I just wanted to say that I think this is such a gorgeous photography of your son - wow! Are you a photographer. I also wanted to say I think you're doing a great job on all fronts adn I really enjoy your blog. Jacqueline
ReplyDeleteI love the 'don't push' thing. I've had two deliveries like that. My 2nd and my 5th children are very memorable. With my 7th they finally believed that they had better pay attention and they did!
ReplyDeleteYou are a strong woman!
That is awesome. A great birthday to share I would say!
ReplyDeleteI know I am strong because I am constantly proving to myself I can do much more than I ever thought possible.
Aw, happy birthday Beansprout! (And happy anniversary to discovering a hidden strengh of yours)! I'm guessing that was sans epidural??
ReplyDeleteI always seem to find my strength when someone doubts/underestimates me, and I say, "Oh yeah?? WATCH me!!"