
We just picked up Chickadee's glasses today. They are the most adorable things. Like a doll's. At my house, this makes them dangerous. Mean mommy surfaced out of the murk and snarled, "NO TOUCHING!" or "I DON'T CARE IF SHE'S PULLED THEM DOWN TO HER NOSE." Miss THANG and Beansprout think those glasses are so cool. Chickadee does too. When she has attention or she has something really fascinating to watch afar and realize that she can see it.
All other times- not so much. We spent the afternoon watching movies to get used to it, then removing them as quickly as we could before the meltdown window closed. It wasn't pretty. It's different. It's a change. They slide down her nose and Mommy got that really annoying elastic band around the back of the neck. Those times she doesn't CARE that they make her look 'gorgeous' and she can see the detail of the PB Beansprout left on the wall.
But this got me thinking. My weight loss journey goes really well at the beginning. When it is new and shiny. After a few days or weeks, the excitement gets a bit dry and the motivation dulls. I start to slip a little. Pretty sure I always fall down a couple times. Most of all there are a LOT of times when I desperately want the new life and to reach the goals but I can't hold on any longer. The pull of the old lifestyle is just too much.
This is what might be called my beginner phase. The one I need training wheels to get through. Silly mind games help me. Like removing all the candy from my kitchen and pantry and giving it to my son to 'hide' really well. He doesn't like candy so much, so it's perfect! Or the rule of no eating outside the kitchen. Or no second helpings. Tiny little programmable hints that interrupt the "Gimme Moore. Ah Oh. I can't resist-I need you!" choir pounding in my head.
And so it will go with Chickadee. Ten minutes here. Movie there. Storytime again, playing long distance games. She'll do it for small stretches at first. Then add in therapy, and eating. She won't even realize she's had them on all day. Then some evening she will realize she likes them so much she won't want to take them off. Just like my new lifestyle and habits. We'll be comfortable.
What are your training wheels?
I don't know your daughter's story but she might surprise you about the glasses. I know several young kids (including my son at 5 and my nephews at 3 and 18 months) who got glasses and left them on because suddenly they could see better. Such a surprise when they don't know what they were missing.
ReplyDeleteYour training wheels analogy is interesting. I need to think about that.
great post
ReplyDeleteglad her glasses look cute on her
its true there will be a day she wont want to take them off soon lol
i dunno what my training wheels were
what are your training wheels in all this
I remember my son's eye doctor saying that once he got used to seeing well that he would want to wear the glasses. He was right!
ReplyDeleteFor me and my journey with health, it was all about not letting myself slip into bad habits at all. It isn't an option. I don't have those conversations with myself like, "if I work out later I can have that cookie...." that sort of thing. I guess I got right on a two wheeler and never used the training wheels. LOL!
Is that a picture of chicadee with her glasses on? super cute!
ReplyDeleteIt took me awhile to get used to mine as well, but there will come a time she doesnt even realize she is wearing them...
I HATE the fact that Im in a phase that I keep taking off/putting on the training wheels because I keep falling. Im working on my courage and my determination to keep it upright without the trainers.
Hmmm...I also don't know if I have ever used "training wheels"; however, maybe that's where I have gone wrong before. As you know, I have an all or nothing personality. This has been both bad and good for me. One of the reasons that I have not used "training wheels" all that much is because I know what I am capable of. I just gotta focus on being disciplined! Thanks for your post. As always...it made me self reflect!
ReplyDeleteThat's a great analogy that is going to make me think. I'm not sure I have anything like that. My hubby (who does not have weight or food issues) made it very clear 15 years ago, during my first "diet" of our marriage, that he would not tolerate me removing things he likes to eat so I've had to adjust to having those things around whether I like it or not. Maybe the one thing I do is to not even buy things I like (but he won't miss) that I feel I cannot handle. Cheez-Its for example.
ReplyDelete@Everybody- RE: training wheels. Stay tuned for tomorrow.
ReplyDelete@Everybody- RE: glasses. She's doing better. Her compulsive movements and sensory issues get to her. But she does like them! That is NOT her picture. Hubbend is a little funny about that, so the source is linked with the asterisk above the picture.
@Everybody- THANK YOU for commenting. Sorry this isn't broken down. I'm trying to clean house. Hubbend is coming home tomorrow hopefully!
Great analogy on the training wheels. I also did great dieting for a very little bit of time, but after the newness and progress wore off then so did my commitment.
ReplyDeletelove your blog. yes someday we'll be comfortable!
ReplyDeletegood analogy. i get bored with things after a while and then go off-plan myself. i think it helps me to plan 'off plan' things so i don't feel deprived.
ReplyDeleteI don't think we are ever off our training wheels. I try and every now and again get back to basics like the beginning. Glad Chickadee's glasses look cute (I own 10 pairs and at least nowadays they are pretty groovy).
ReplyDeleteLove your blog Martinexx