
Something important to me in starting this whole deal is to be more in control of myself. You know, I can't control others but I can control myself. The Serenity Prayer.
I want to be more patient. Yesterday, I was a witch. I was tired of a messy dirty house, and my family 'taking advantage' of me being swamped. They should be taking up my slack, not capitalizing on the avalanche. So I whisked around the house as quickly as if I'd had a broom. I criticized and nagged. I snapped and harped. You know how it is. Or hopefully not.
My point is that I want to do better. Okay, so maybe patient is a bit much for me to shoot for at the moment. I want to be respectful. Civil. Yes, that would be a definite improvement. I want to be civil while asking for what I need. I want to be respectful while I repeatedly make it my full time job to train Chiclets to do their chores.
Okay. Maybe, it's just the desire to believe for now. What are your tricks for not being
I'm off to church. Please watch the broom for me.
OK, I'll watch the broom for you!
ReplyDeleteI have no tricks for not being a nag. Sometimes it just can't be helped and sometimes our loved ones need a little nagging. Of course we can take a moment and give a little thought to how we word that nag, to make it more like a gentle nudge than a downright shove.
Definitely know about being a nag, and I hate when I catch myself doing it. It seems sometimes that I all do is yell and try to control the situation and the chaos.
ReplyDeleteBut sometimes I try to let go and go with it. Right now, for example, my oldest is blasting the TV despite us asking him to turn it down for the 20th time, and the little guy, who loves to climb, is trying to climb a chair to get onto the table...again despite us trying to tell him to get down, grab him to get down, and start the process again. He then screams everytime we try to tell him to stop....its endless, and frustrating and infuriating, but its also wonderful. And I just try to get in touch with that wonder and my gratitude for my children, and that helps me speak in a more gentle tone, without flying off the handle, and sometimes gets things done the way I hoped that way (notice the sometimes).
And dont worry about the broom...its still going to be on the floor right where you left it. Who's going to pick it up and put it away but you, right?
:) Hang in there...
Ill put your broom next to mine (it has its own special corner). And I have to say, it needs a bit of cleaning itself because I gave it a good using yesterday where my son is concerned. I feel for you....I have been there so many times (still do on occasion). For me, I find "peace/patience" when I am on my own......at the bookstore. Its where I hid away for a bit yesterday for some much needed PEACE. Not just outward, but inward as well. hope you have a wonderful day!!!
ReplyDeleteThis cracks me up... especially the picture since I live in Kansas! I hope someone comes up with an answer because I am sure my sons and husband don't hear my voice anymore when I ask them to do something... just hear that strange sound like the teacher in the Charlie Brown movies. Bwah, bwhahhhaa, bwahh.
ReplyDelete@Weighting Around- Yeah, thanks for watching the broom! I dusted it off AGAIN! Man, what is wrong with me...Oh, yes, nudging is nicer than shoving. I'll try to remember that...
ReplyDelete@Holistic Health Coach-Tri Mom- Wonder and gratitude. I may be looking for a while. Just Kidding. ;) Really though, that is great advice. BTW, you were right. The broom was still there.
@ WaistingTime- Yeah, I thought it was funny while I was writing it. Goes to show ya...I don't think anyone is going to help us find the way. Although a cattle prod or leaving for a week might do the trick. Hmmm.
@Kristina- HOW COULD I MISS YOUR COMMENT? so sorry. Yeah, leaving for a while ... Aaaahhh. Sounds like a nice back massage, or a hot shower. That would be so-o-o nice. Maybe that's why I've been cackling more. :)
ReplyDeleteSometimes there is no taming the witch inside us all. I think our families are lucky they don't see it more often - lol!
ReplyDeleteThe worst is when you're having that witch moment & part of you steps outside, looks down & whispers in your ear, "WTF are you doing??"
ReplyDeleteDeep breathing, counting & putting myself in time out (Mom needs to take a long bathroom break NOW lol) helps but...the broom comes out with a fury at times.
Hang in there,
Lynn