Skip to main content

The Ties That Bind



Family really affects my ability to function. The well being of my children is a factor, but also my extended family. I grew up knit so closely with my brothers and sisters that I think we felt like the largest living organism in the world. Not that we were the biggest family, but that we were connected together underneath just as importantly as we stood alone outside.

I depend on family. They depend on me.

We've been shaken the past year. It's been with me heavier since this weekend. My nephew died, a month and a half later my grandmother died. In May my own personal tour of Dante's Inferno began. Chickadee began losing words like they were diamonds in sand. Then skills, and finally she ended up in a rocking hell all her own for two months. In July came the diagnosis for Rett Syndrome came. We did more tests in 2009 than I ever thought possible.

But, we weren't finished. Hubbend's mother had a double mastectomy because for the third time her breast cancer was back. She is so far cancer free. Hubbend's father was not so lucky. His kidney cancer metastasized and spread. It doesn't look good. Hubbend has been there the past 3 1/2 days, and he will stay until Friday. I always add in my mind that he will come home Friday unless he is needed to stay. It really is that bad.

My point is that I am not the same with out Hubbend's support. I have a hard time parenting solo, I depend on him. My sisters did not seem to know who I was at our reunion in August. I told them I could not handle any of the fun schemes they were plotting for Family 2010. I'm usually the one heading up the fun committee. (Yes, I was not always Debbie Downer) Hubbend's family is not used to having him gone in crisis. He is the one that pulls the fighting stressed out family together with his peaceful ways. He is the one that makes them laugh.

Children affect me more than I plan. When my nephew died, and when my dream for Future Chickadee had to die, It rocked my whole world. It feels so arrogant. I expect this little child so perfect and sweet to make it to perfect adulthood. Functional, healthy and riddled with faults.

To try and wrap all these loose ends together, I got derailed. Off track. I'm still okay with that. After what I went through, I can't help but love the person who went through all that. That person has my respect, and I understand the faults that glare all too well. But, I need to support myself. In the future-though I'm not mad at my past-I don't want that to happen again. I have too many risk factors not to understand that I am at high risk for a few more tragedies. I want to handle it healthy. This is the best combination I've found yet. Healthy yummy food, challenging exercise goals, writing posts, and blogger friends. I think it's working.

What about you? What are your connections? How do they help, and how do they hinder?

*the photo is from Flickr and part of the public domain. I am unfortunately NOT a great photographer*

Comments

  1. On April 28, 2009, my 39 year old brother-in-law was crushed by an excavator as he was working in the yard at their new house. He left behind my baby sister, and two children ages 2 and 5. My family had not experienced a loss that close. We were so rocked we have shattered into a million pieces and have still not recovered. My sister and I got into a disagreement at Thanksgiving and haven't spoken since. We are blowing away in the wind and I don't know that anything will ever be the same. I don't even pretend to know what the answer is for me, or for you. But I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family as well! It seems my world resolves around their lives, their ups/downs. Sometimes I dont like that, but I love them, so....

    I feel for you this last year, everything you have been through...but I also see your strength, we all do, even when I dont think you see/feel it. I continue to keep you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my son loves our puppy
    this morning he was tickiling her lol
    it was too cute
    they actually have therapy dogs
    i think thats a great idea
    i cant even explain how they interact differently with these animals than us
    you should take her to see them if she does well then i would get one
    it may change her life
    i know its changed ours for the better and we just have a bichon poodle mix the runt of the mix but she follows him everywhere and watches out for him and they play like crazy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not have near the challenges you have, but my husband was in the Navy and now in the medical field. Single parenting (while married) is tough. It's draining and sucks the life out of you at times.

    You have a lot of your shoulders right now and it looks like the load is going to linger. I hope you have a good support system locally for yourself too. I pray that you will be provided with the added strength you need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do have a lot going on. Somehow, you manage to hold on and endure it. You really do amaze me. I see clients, day in and day out, that crumble under adversity; however, you become stronger. Do I think that you haven't had down times, of course not. You're human. However, the frustrations in my life seem strangely dim when I read of the ones you face day to day. The testimony of your life through your blog, if nothing else, leads me closer to the grateful spirit that I desire. "Meeting" you has blessed my life tremendously. Hang in there mama. There is a song that says...sometimes God calms the storm, other times he calms his child!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right now, my blogger friends help me more than anyone.

    I had no idea you'd been through so much. We're all here for you. You will be in my thoughts most certainly.

    Keep running. It helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know what I'd do without my family. They are my rock and get me through anything.

    I have recently discovered blogging and eating healthy. It is something that I love and can focus on. It keeps my mind off of other things... I have also made wonderful friends through the blog world.

    Keep blogging girl...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know it sounds funny, but my parrot, Chicken. Besides my family and my children-she comes to my mind. In 07 I had a hysterectomy while trying to have a baby. I have 2 boys, but wanted one more then be done. I had a miscarriage and the Dr. said no more, then 2 months later I had the surgery. I was really depressed. When I brought Chicken home it was different and ridiculous at the same time. she is my little baby..

    ReplyDelete
  9. my hubby is my most important piece of the puzzle in this fight to raise our child
    i totally understand were you are coming from

    sorry everythings all over the place today
    i am just trying to get caught up on my reading lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a-mazing. You are so strong it's inspiring. I struggle when my hubby is gone too. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it wacky how we change through our experiences. I never really thought how having children would change me and it makes me wonder how we changed our parents. You are a daughter of God with innate strength and goodness. Each day you are becoming closer to becoming the person he wants you to be whether it is the old you, the new you, a combo, or whomever. You have been and ever will be His child first. Hang in there. So sorry to hear about Hubbend's family. They are such good people and he really is a peaceful force.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Helen- Wow. What a loss for a family. My losses have either been at the beginning or end of life. Somehow your experience puts mine into perspective. Someone in the prime of life with a spouse and children. That is quite the ripple effect. I'm so sorry you've not been speaking with your sister. That would be such a wound in my heart. <3

    @Kristina- I wouldn't change it either. It's who we are, our families. Yet it affects this weight loss journey so much. So much of my schedule depends on my husband and children being predictable. That isn't so hard, is it?

    @BEE- I'm so excited! Plus this way I can win the running argument with my husband-"inside or outside dog?" It has to be inside if it's a therapy dog. (Nee nee nee. that's evil laughing)

    @Lisa- I don't think burdens are any lighter for anybody. We all have times when we've been run over by a truck. Thankfully, I do have a wonderful support system here. They have been bringing me dinners every single Thursday since November. Just because they want me to be able to breathe. :) Prayers are always welcome and appreciated.

    @Corletta- That is totally why I read NieNie. She puts my life in perspective. But I think that all of us have our own loads whether they can be put into words easily or not. I KNOW I would pick up my bag of troubles again if we all had to put our bags in a pile.

    @kathyj333- blogger friends are the best. Thanks for thinking of me. I think of you! I admire you a lot. There is more of your history available. ;) Thanks for letting me annoy you. I plan on running my butt off!

    @Kristina @ Change of Pace- Don't you just love blogging? I do. I love the support and the friends it gives. Plus, I feel better supporting others too.

    @Nikki- Doesn't sound funny at all. I have to be done with having a family though I wanted more. It was postpartum and the pregnancy that really sent me off the deep end and into bipolar diagnosis. So, I've been animal watching. I'm getting a bit peckish.

    @BEE- Don't apologize. You DON'T have to read my old blogs! Not unless you really want to. You've had your internet off for a few days. Everyone understands! If they don't I'll write them a letter. I'm getting really good at that from dealing with dr.s and insurance. :)

    @KatDoesDiets- Thank you. I can't deflect or put myself down because Corletta might come back. :) So, thank you! And, XXX to you too!

    @Elizabeth- I love you! You are so sweet. I am as you say, a child of God. So are you mama. I hope you know that. I love your perspective and funny witticisms. I'll tell Hubbend, he will appreciate it. It's been difficult for him.


    I LOVE YOU GUYS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't really know how to respond to this post, except wow! You are one tough cookie! I know it's cliche, but this is part of a huge plan for your life...even though us humans can be very near-sighted at times. I know Chickadee also has a huge plan, even if it may be different from what you've expected.

    I would also be putty without my husband...he is my rock. Other than that, just being able to vent and talk things out seems to help.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are pretty heavy issues and I don't have answers. But I know my wife is my center and I know how unnatural it feels on the occasions when some experience takes place and I can't share it with her so I can definitely relate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stop by my blog.. I have something for you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...