Skip to main content

Scheduling

*little girl from flickr unrelated to me*

My life is wobbling.

My schedule is out of balance. I'm dropping plates instead of keeping them spinning high above me. My pot is beyond wiggling on the wheel. The pot is woefully peanut shaped!

With Chickadee's perpetual appointments, the rest of my family's dental care (and it's health equivalents), real estate machinations, and various recreational *gasp* appointments, I don't have time. But, I have been creating time out of thin air and blogging with a side of exercise. I should really give lectures on space-time curvature. Every mother should.

Looking around my house, I have a question for all my fellow bloggers. What kind of scheduling magicians are you? I mean, for goodness sake, the sheets on my Beansprout's bed don't even remember their expiration date!

Don't even talk to me about the mopping the floors or vacuuming. It was before the hospital that it got done. I know that I am recovering from a lot, but my life seems ALL prep and recovery. Sometimes.

Okay, so I AM exaggerating. A tad. I'm always impatient to get past this introductory phase and to the 'real' deal. I really do appreciate the foundation building that happens while I'm still figuring out how to incorporate new things into my schedule. Maintaining is a possibility because of it. I just don't know if I can let any more things go. I've really let go of a lot since my hospitalization and Chickadee's diagnosis. I don't know how to maintain a healthy balance.

So. How do you do it? How?

Comments

  1. When you find the scheduling secret let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When all is going perfectly, the schedule at least will work, the house will be clean, and dinner will be made.

    When unexpected things happen, chaos can be the result. I love order, so chaos really makes me feel out of control.

    Just keep doing what you can. In the grand scheme of life, vacuuming and mopping doesn't matter. Your mental, physical, and emotional well being is what matters. Your family is what matters. Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't try to do it all, just do what you can. I try to scrub a small area every day. I move to a new space the next day. That way the whole house has had each area cleaned at least once in the past ten days. I rarely have the house all clean at once. I just have to be ok with that at this age/stage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone else. We all think everyone does a better job than us. My house is trashed right now, full on...ah, guilt, should go clean, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl,
    I wish I knew. For me, this year has been tough. I have worked full-time, been in graduate school full-time, and seeing clients full-time. Because I knew that it was what I had to do for a year...I sucked it up and pressed on; however, as you know, some things had to be pushed to the wayside. I have had melt downs. For me, realizing that I couldn't do it all was HUGE. I am a go-getter. I am also very independent. I had to come to the point where I had to communicate with others, Hey, I need help or sorry...I can't. This was CRUCIAL for preserving my sanity and joy for life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @kathyj333- I think if we both read the rest of the comments, then we will have some of our answer. Getting it through my thick melon is another matter. ;)

    @Lisa "One Mom's Weight Loss"- I think things go 'perfectly' for about once a month. I grew up with June Cleaver for a mother. I'm only half kidding! But there are things she wasn't good at. There were goals she didn't reach. You're right I just have to keep trying.

    @Fit Mommy- Wise Mommy. I had that as part of my clean house diet, I mean regimen. It is a very good way to get it done. I'm glad you wrote about it. I'm motivated to start it up again.

    @KatDoesDiets- No Guilt Allowed. Oh, wait. That's what my post was about anyway wasn't it? Well, we will both have to have no guilt then.

    @Corletta- Yes, I was just thinking the same thing when I was reading Fit Mommy's comment. I can keep up on the cleaning, but I need to ask for HELP from my family to minimize the clutter and damage control. You are doing great by the way. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my - the secret of how to do it all!!! I'd love to know what that is. At times I feel like it is the best I can do to make it moment to moment.

    I hope that life feels less stressed and demanding soon. :) (HUGS!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have children or a sick child and am time poor. I try not to achieve the impossible, I make lists of what I want to achieve this week. With the house cleaning I try to do a little each day and have made a roster for myself but if it doesn't get done the world is not coming to an end and if anything be kind to yourself and give yourself 10 minutes where you put your feet up and chill. Martine xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Kim- I don't think I want to pretend ever again that I can do it all. I hope your life is better too. And thanks for your hugs!

    @Martine- Lists and a roster. Smart. If this keeps me from bingeing when stressed, I'll take it. Thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh girl, I don't even have children yet and my crazy on-the-go lifestyle is what seems to be getting in the way of my weight-loss the most!! It seems to be easier though, if I make a list and chip away at things and plan ahead. Right now the house is a hot mess, and so is my diet regimen for the past couple of weeks. Don't beat yourself up if you can't "do" it all--prioritize...your kiddos come first, the house and other things will fall into place later.

    Oh, and I'm doing fine (just running around like a chicken like my head cut off)...why do you ask? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are so many things (even beyond the weekly basics) that need to get done that it's overwhelming to think about them all at once. Stuff like filing taxes or cleaning out the garage. I've tried to pick one of those things a week to get done so I'm at least chipping away at the pile instead of panicking about how big it is and never really getting anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Julie V.- You are awesome. I love my bloggin friends. Prioritize. Could somebody else do that? ;) I'm glad you're great. I was just being nosy and stalky. Don't mind me.

    @Matt- It always helps to keep working! I'm such a perfectionist. I like things to be DONE now. The first time. The right way. I forget that doing something however small is better than doing nothing Even if I end up making it worse. I'll learn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can relate to this. Life can be hard and then I tend to compare my house & life to other people's and I almost always feel like I am the loser.

    BUT, I do fight it and realize that all I can do is the best I can do right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i don't have nearly as much going on as you do, but i have the same question: how does anyone get it all done?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...