Skip to main content

Rock Tumbler


How do we change?

Schedules, habits, addictions, neurosis?

I do things because of something. Certain things make those triggers faster. TOM for instance makes my fuse short. So do the mental helper meds I'll be taking for the rest of my life. I remember thinking about a month after I started them, 'Did the 7 years of parenting and marriage research and application just go away?'

Other things make me more angelic. Running for instance. Showers without interruption. Self care. A funny comedy.

What exactly can I do to enhance my perseverance? Chew gum a la Violet Beauregarde? Perhaps train for the Iditarod. Somehow I don't think so.

Perhaps moving Mountains. You know, pebble by pebble. Right? It worked before, hopefully it will work again for the AFTER.

So how do you change?

Comments

  1. TOM makes me crazy too
    i spent 2 hours last night crying over nothing lol
    hate it!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you change, but I know that I am. It's a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Change comes much easier once a person is truly ready. All my failed attempts at change have been because I wasn't ready to give up whatever part of a bad habit was "working for me."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly change? I'll get back to you when I figure that one out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...I think I change when I focus all my attention on something, you know? Like with weight loss - I am borderline obsessed this time around, and I KNOW I'm changing. I think, for me, that is the key. Once I complete the change and it becomes part of me, then I can move on to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @BEE- I read on your that working out helped you. I hope tonight is better. We should really renegotiate that contract TOM has. ;)

    @KatDoesDiets- I'm glad you are. Knowing I'm changing has a momentum for me. One that keeps going in the face of obstacles because it isn't worth it to lose what I'm becoming.

    @Fit Mommy- Wow. That is what I needed to hear. I'm really analyzing this time. I DON'T want to come back to visit where I am [have been] when I'm finished. I plan on maintaining with occasional difficulty. Thanks for breaking it down so well.

    @Lisa "One Mom's Weight Loss"- I think cleaning out your pantry on the prowl for things healthy might qualify, chica! Good job.

    @Jenn- I think that is what I do too. I like to really normalize all my healthy behaviors and then kick it up a notch. 'Corse it really helps if I'm plateaued too. ;) You are doing fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I figure out how to get the change I'm looking for, I'll let you know - promise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy! I have struggled with this as a person and as a therapist. As if figuring out how to change isn't hard enough, I chose a profession that attempts to help others heal/change. What I have learned is that change has to happen from within. Cognitions must first change and then behaviors will follow. Change occurs in individuals that want it. For me, I had to come to the realization that I was self sabotaging because I really feared change. So..I would pretend to want it only enough to produce small alterations rather than transformations. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Helen- Shall I save tomorrow's post for you, or shall I invest in a safety deposit box? ;)

    @Corletta- Cognition is good. Change comes for me somewhere between cognition and action. When the sabotage is more costly than the unknown changes. I don't know. You always help!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!!!!!! All I can think to say is wow!!!! I am new to your blog and read through it from the beginning and let me say I am in awe of you and your strength. If you ever doubt yourself or your ability to accomplish something you should sit down and reread your blog. You are an amazing mom and person. I am inspired by how hard you are fighting life. The scale has nothing on you! Stay strong and focused and you will make it through to becoming who you want to be.

    As for change, I think that comes when we are ready for it. When we have worked through our issues within ourselves that hold us back from being truly happy with who we are no matter what size. Our weight is not what makes us happy or not it is just a biproduct. You have so much going on around you and so much stress that you put on yourself that you will find that change you want when you let yourself feel the change in your heart. You are amazing and can do ANYTHING you want to do and be who you want to be! Stay strong and give yourself some credit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Positive self-talk! Just the way team mates encourage each other by yelling, 'you can do it!'along the sidelines! If I encourage myself, I build myself up, and when I tell myself the opposite, that's what I can count on,too.
    "Whether you tell yourself you can do it, or tell yourself you can't, either way, you're right."
    It's all about believing in myself. One step at a time, one day at a time, believe I can change, and I do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @LOR- You may have made my week. Or my month. thank you! I'm working on the giving myself credit. It's improving. And it's helping me to be able to achieve my goals. You are so positive. I think I'll be stopping by for a dose of the (+) energy.

    @Jackie Callahan- You are right! That is what gets me past my 'triggers'. The ones that happen in a split second and can't be changed. Belief is exactly what I need. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...