Skip to main content

Honest Scrap



Thanks to MrsFatass @ Did I Just Eat That Out Loud? who is sweet and gracious. Apparently I am to tell you all 10 items of honest crap and pass it on to 7 others. Oh, did I say crap? . . . I mean, scrap. So, here we go.

  1. I am 5'11 1/4" and I was this tall when I was 11 years old. Seriously. I was the tallest person in my elementary school (including my older brother) in the fifth grade. Excluding only Mr. Wheeler the 6'6" 5th grade teacher.

  2. I wear size TWELVE shoes. The earliest size I remember is size 9 in third grade.

  3. I have always, and always will be proud of my height. Even when they called me Jolly Green and Mark Eaton's daughter. I relished being the most of something. I don't know how that happened. But kudos to my parents!

  4. I have a BA in Art History. I know. Totally useless right? NO. NO. Your parents, economists, the entire world is wrong. Art History is useful. It has changed my life. Completely. I can now name on command almost any artwork that appears in mainstream media. I can also get annoyed and point out flaws in Dan Brown's books.

  5. I can sew. At fifteen I made my own queen sized quilt top. I saved up my little monies and bought everything myself. Why? Because I am totally weird. Now that I am a more appropriate age, I can't be induced to touch the machine. Back in my heyday I made doll clothes for little sisters, strange culottes, prom dresses and wedding line dresses.

  6. I finally pulled out my machine this past Christmas. I needed a skirt and the stores did NOT have what I wanted or the length I wanted. Sewing is not like stores. You can't try it on until it's just about done. Can we say light bulb moment?When I tried that puppy on, I couldn't even get it all the way up! DENIED. Hubbend's Christmas vacation was totally wasted. But my denial was busted. So, there is some positive to it.

  7. I can also crochet. I've crocheted four or five different labor intensive afghans. More recently (this too has fallen by the way side since the arrival of MY CURRENT LIFE) it has proven an extremely useful skill. Chickadee has started literally wearing her hair out where she touches it so much. So, it's breaking off. I've started making hats like this only way cuter and fuzzy all over so she can pull the fuzzy instead of her gorgeous hair.

  8. I can't dance. Don't ask. There is only one person in the whole world who can coax a modicum of grace out of these gangly limbs. That is why I married the multi-talented Hubbend. He has worked many a job before landing his white collar wonderjob, and one of them was ballroom dance instructor. He knows all my facial quirks, and my stumbling patterns.

  9. It takes me five months alone in my living room every day pressing repeat over and over to learn a dance or routine. This girl that could rip up a basketball court is completely defeated when it comes to step, step, kick. Miss THANG is taking ballet so that she will have combat skills against this defect.

  10. I turn into a 5 year old child when it comes to holidays. I pull out my window markers and color a birthday message on every glass surface in the house. Birthdays are awesome. Think microwave (outside) mirrors, oven door, glass top tables, I would probably do the blender. I love to decorate and make huge paper chains. Then the best part is tearing it down and throwing it ALL AWAY!


So, now for 7 others. Here are 7 bloggers I want to know more about:

Leslie @ Something Brilliant is Brewing
BEE @ The Next Biggest Loser
liz @ Shedding the Fat-Suit
The Svelte Gourmet
Roxie @ Gravel and Rust
Big Girl Bombshell
Kristina @ Off the Couch

Feel free to answer or not. I just wanted to share the love!

Comments

  1. Awesome list!! I really enjoyed reading it.
    And congrats on your award. You totally deserve it. Enjoy!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. We have several things in commom :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi JBS - Thanks for the award. And congratulations to you for yours - well deserved. I love your list of ten things. It's great that you're so tall, and have always felt good about it. Big ass feet, huh? Mine are 10s, and I've found it hard to find shoes I like at that size at times. I feel better about it now.

    It's so funny to read this stuff and consider how I think I would have pictured you at about 5'5". Don't know why...and it cracks me up when you say call the spouse "hubbend".

    Have a great night, and thank you again for the award. I'm taking a day off from posting so I don't have to come up with something clever to say. Never have before - why start now?? Har har. Tomorrow I'll do my own list.

    Time to go say some incantations for my achin' knee. It's been a mofo today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am such a fan of Dan Brown, I always am totally skeptical of what he says in his books though... sometimes I look up his claims online. Its awesome that you can just spot his mis-claims!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness. I can't believe you are that tall. You're like a super model :) Can I buy 4 inches from you...lol.

    I love art. I have actually thought of majoring in Art History!! I still need to finish my bachelors. I took a drawing class and 2 art history classes a couple years ago and loved it.

    Thanks for sharing all these fun things about yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound so much like my sister - she's 5 foot 12! Thank you so much for the award and I look forward to sharing your journey, as well. We are all in this together.

    And speaking of sewing, I'm getting the urge again myself. Or perhaps knitting - something to do with textiles and creating, I guess. I've put some classes on my activities calendar, we'll see if I follow through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the mention! I'm honored that you want to know more about me and I'll try to come up with my 10 things. Thanks for reading and commenting...I appreciate the feedback and support! =) Your story is amazing and I'm behind you all the way, however I can help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Amy- You are so kind! And thank you.

    @My Lipstick LIfe- Oh. Now I'm so curious! Which ones?

    @Leslie- Totally flipper feet. I had a roommate as tall as I am with size NINE. The cosmos are so unfair. I cannot imagine 5'5". I have no idea how old I was when I passed that up. Eight? I have to confess I stole Hubbend from mine leetle seester. She calls my dear brother in law that. I'll say some incantations for your knee too. o_O

    @The Sweet Tooth Obliteration Operation- The worst one: Madonna of the Rocks could not be lifted off the wall and used as a shield. It's over 4' by 6' and the weight would be more than two people could handle.

    @Lisa @ "One Mom's Weight Loss"- NO YOU CAN'T. I mean, sweet of you really but I'm kind of ATTACHED. ;) Art History is great, but the more museums you get into the better. Poo on hours in front of slides.

    @Roxie- That's hilarious! I do it because I want to deliberately not be like men. ALL MEN. Every single one. All Men add 1" to their height. That's how I married a man 1" shorter than me. He lied.

    I propose you don't. I hate having things that stack up like weights on my head. I don't like feeling guilty about recreation.

    @The Svelte Gourmet- but of course! You're welcome, I do love the premise of your blog, and I appreciate your support!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the honest scrap
    ill be doing mine as soon as possible

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...