
Me So Hongry is doing a mini challenge for the next seven weeks. She wants to lose 7 pounds in 7 weeks. I think that is a fabulous idea. I'm supposed to set mini goals.
My self assigned topic for the day was food. I was thinking about how I don't cook when Hubbend is gone. It's a lot like my friend Traci says, "I'm not gonna fix you little rugrats my smoked salmon with gorgeous apple sandwiches because while you love them, you would be slightly happier with MAC & CHEESE!" I know the kids are happier when we just wing it and let things hang loose. Especially the rules.
But, I am the Mother. I know better, and I ought to show them better. Not only will it help us be physically healthy, it will also be extremely beneficial to our relationships.
So, my mini goal is to FIX REAL FOOD. And sit down to eat it. With a tablecloth.
I'll be doing a bit less pantry rummaging and a lot more confronting my apparent fear of grocery carts. I'll be using my favorite trio of Simple Food, Real Food, and Tasty Food. While this is NOT diet food, it is good healthy food. Cultural food. I find that respecting the natural context of food helps me to be more moderate. I can also separate out sugar cookies as something only for twice a year. The sour cherry torte for the last two weeks of June which is the only time they are in season. Tomato salads with fresh mozzarella and basil in July til the first frost. Mmmm. That is what I call healthy food in moderation.
So, do you have a mini goal? Or do you sit down with your families? Let's lose seven pounds by Easter!
I love the kinder gentler goal of losing 7 pounds in 7 weeks with a focus on other lifestyle changes that can result in gradual lasting behavior and preference changes. How long is hubbend going away? I used to love feeding my little baboos when hub was away - just seemed lighter and easier. Don't know why, because my hub will eat anything and is never picky or complaining, unlike the shrewish wife ;) ! Simply, real and tasty are great guides for assembling a reasonable diet.
ReplyDeletei always sit down at a table for dinner
ReplyDeleteits so important to our child
he says grace
it gives him time were he needs to focus and eat and tlak to us for 30 mins or so
its great
thats a great plan to start
my mimi goal is to get out of these 180 soon
please!!!!! im sitting at around 183 still maybe next month lol
Sounds like a great goal and focus! Taking things one pound at a time and one habit at a time really helps me keep from being overwhelmed with it all!
ReplyDeleteI do not have mini goals. Hmmm...I was thinking the other day...instead of looking at the 18 pounds I have to lose, I can do 10 at a time. So...my mini goal for the next few weeks is to show the 170's what I'm made of. Not more hanging around a bad friend like 178!!! Thanks for the umph!
ReplyDeletegreat goals! good luck!
ReplyDeleteMy family and I sit down to eat together every night and say our prayer over our meal. It really is the BEST part of the day.
ReplyDeleteI'm up for losing 7 lbs by Easter!
I am a big believer of everyone sitting down at a table together, my happiest memories are of this with my parents. My brother and sister in law do this as well. Good idea with the challenge, I am up for it as well. Very doeable. Martine xx
ReplyDeleteWe always sit down at the table together for dinner, except for pizza night, which is about once a week. Then we like to keep it loose, and the kids love to eat in the living room that day!
ReplyDeleteMy kids are still pretty little so they're not too adventurous with food yet. But, they do ask to try my dinners quite a bit, which is a good thing. My older daughter now enjoys snacking on tomatoes and red pepper strips! I think as long as I make good foods, they'll continue to try them and will develop a palate over time that is mostly full of healthy stuff.
i guess i figure i will keep moving so i dont pass out lol
ReplyDeletehave you ever seen wedding planner with jennifer lopez and matthew mcconnnna however you spell it ..
ReplyDeletethe openning scene where she comes home, gets dinner, turns on the tv and eats and watches alone..
that's me. :(
i pretty much live by myself.. (i live with a friend's mom, while my friend is off dorming in another state.. complicated situation..but anyway she is never really home.. soooo i live by myself pretty much) & let me tell ya.. it's kind of sad.. BUT the whole kitchen is MINE MINE MINE which means there is no snacks for little kids or husbands or boyfriends..so in that respect it's good.. but.. not so good on another level..
:)
Dontcha love the mini goals? I'm doing the challenge too. Bon Appetit this week!
ReplyDeleteI do try to cook at home more often, because I have more control over what I put in my mouth, but we hardly ever eat at the table. It's just me and the hubbs so we usually eat at the couch, watching TV with the coffee table scooted up against our knees. Bad, I know..but that's how we roll! :)
ReplyDeleteI've also thought about doing a habit a week change or a mini-goal or something like that. I would love to incorporate more water into my diet...I am terrible about not drinking enough and then cramping up during my workouts due to dehydration...so perhaps that could be my minigoal!
@Leslie- You are so kind and gentle, it is hard to even imagine you as the shrewish wife! Hubbend is planning on coming home Friday. If his father isn't worse.
ReplyDelete@BEE- Did you know that the studies suggest one of or if not THE highest indicator of a successful family is that they have dinner together? Yay BEE!
@Fit Mommy- Thanks. And yeah, I feel the same about the stress. I can use all the relief from that that I can get!
@Corletta- It does make it more manageable, does it not? You're welcome to any umph you find here.
@Tricia- Thanks
@Kelly-I'm so glad you have family dinners! I think prayer centers people, and the conversation is just as good for our hearts as food is for our bodies.
@Martine- I love my memories too. My family-like everyone-has it's messy parts. But my mom made sure we did this and that we had *high nasal voice*"Pleasant Conversation". I really respect her now for it, and thank her every chance I get.
@Jenn- What an excellent example you are! We too have a movie night where we break all the rules and eat pizza on the floor in front of the movie. *gasp* I do think it's good to let them know that 90% is good enough.
@BEE- good plan babe. Or, you could go to sleep. ;)
@AnotherFATgirl- I totally remember that. I would never do that for myself. It just would not be worth it to me to go to all that effort just for myself. I guess if it was just me for years...Sounds kinda nice for thirty seconds. Or more. I like my alone time, but I see what you're saying. It's nice to be connected. Sometimes it's nice to be annoyed about the messes your relationships leave around XX
@My Lipstick Life- Love it. I think I found it reading your blog. Maybe? Thank you!
@Julie V.- Cooking at home is your greatest mini goal yet. Actually I'm kinda flakey, so don't hold me to that. But it is a really good goal. Here's to running to the bathroom twice as much next week! Yay Julie!
I came by after you so kindly responded to my blog problems today. I love your writing. And your images on the blog are beautiful and striking.
ReplyDeleteThis post strikes a chord with me. I have been horrible at family dinners. Honestly one of my worst parenting mistakes. I could personally go without cooking and happily eat non-sit-down-meal food almost every night. And it was too easy to let that happen over the years as kids had activities and would rather eat frozen pizza than whatever I cooked. Even now I struggle with this. If my teens are not around for a meal, I will eat an apple an PB and let DH fend for himself. If I could go back and do things differently, I would. I would learn a habit of planning and cooking meals and raise my boys with healthy family dinners. It is a work in progress.