Skip to main content

Competing With Myself



I've gotten to my 20 miles in a week goal.

That means that I will easily make my 500 miles in 2010 goal. As long as I don't get injured or something. All I have to get is 10 miles a week and I would have 520 miles. So, the more weeks I get 20 miles the better off I will be. Hooray!

My next goal is to be able to run @ 6.0 mph for 30 minutes. If I increase by 0.1 mph every week I should be there in 6 weeks.

Anyway, I've been reflecting on how these goals have really helped me complete my exercise goals without any debate in the morning. Even on the weekends or when crazy unpredictable life moments happen. Now, if only I could motivate myself to reach some of my own stronger goals.

I do my best when I'm out to beat myself. I get a thrill out of doing better than before. I love to record my stats over a long period of time, and then review them. This is why I love dailymile. It has pretty graphs that track my distance, intensity, speed, etc. It also taunts me with how many pounds I've burned (did you know that 96 miles is only 2 pounds?) and donuts I've 'earned'. It also shows me a maddening stat about how far I've gone around the world. 0.00 Annoying? YES!

I've been wondering where I can find the same motivation? Where is there a cyberplace that I can compete with how many sit-ups I did yesterday? Or . . . What is it that you do?

*photo from here*

Comments

  1. Wow, that question begs the assumption that I actually DO situps. Dang.

    I don't know what to do for that stuff. I wonder if there's something handy dandy that those people doing the 200 situp or 200 squat challenges use. I like to compete with myself, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beating oneself is great - new PRs daily. Good work on the mileage - if you're doing that, you can find a way to keep yourself steadily progressing in other areas. Even if you have to write out an incentive package for yourself with non-food rewards for increasing accomplishments. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you a member of sparkpeople.com? On the site, you can join teams and that's tons of motivation! If you join a running team, you could compete in team goals and track your progress along with the team. Or other teams post how many situps or pushups or whatever you are looking for. There are teams out there for everyone!!!
    Just a thought!

    Way to go on the 20 miles!!! Whew! That makes me tired just reading that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its funny that you mention that about situps...I actually found a site today called hundredpushups.com and it has a program to get you from 0 to 100 pushups in 6 weeks, and there are links to the same for squats and situps...and tons of people linked to say how many they do. And they have a tracking website called pushupslogger.com (and situp one, etc)...where you can track. SO cool, I just signed up today. Great job on your 20 miles. When I start running this season, Ill be happy to get to 2 miles each time I go (thats my really weak sport)...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl! I like your approach to goal setting, you are very realistic, yet determined in your approach. Running is not really my favorite, but I may check that website out. Maybe they have a section for walkers or joggers?? At any rate, I know you've got this in the bag.

    By the way, I LOVE your photographs in each blog...do you take them, or do you just randomly find them? Corletta and I were talking about that the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ MrsFatass- I don't do them either! Hence the need for motivation. Of course, I'm overwhelmed by life and underwhelmed by bodybuilding. Good thing I get cardio in now.

    @ Leslie- Thank you! You are one classy lady. Maybe I'll get new workout clothes. Hmm. Hubbend is probly groaning with the subconscious knowledge of me spending money ...

    @ Kelly- Will you hold my hand? No. I'm not a member of Sparkpeople. Is it high maintenance site? Cause I don't have a lot more time ...

    @ Holistic Health Coach-Tri Mom- You are wonderful! I will check it out. And I will report back! I can only 'jogun' 2.5 miles right now in 30 minutes. I walk 4 miles every other day in an hour. That's the only way I've been able to get it done!

    @ Julie V.- Thank you! dailymile has very pretty graphs. That is the main reason why I use it. That and the donut-meter. ;) It does actually have a walker and a runner version. I put myself in the walker, but now I put myself in the athlete section so that I can run/walk/abs and just change it to fit. FLICKR is my main source for the pics. I don't take them. I wish. I search flickr or picasa until I find an awesome one that fits with the post. I'm glad you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK Holistic Health Coach-Tri Mom. I signed up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on all you are doing with regards to exercise and fitness! I'm impresssed. I compete with myself, but don't tend to write it down very often - I think I would like dailymile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey DailyMile friend! Did I tell you that you rocked it? lol - I think I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Diane Fit to the Finish- Thank You! I think you would like it. It's a lot of fun.

    @ My Lipstick Life- Hmmm. I think you did! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 20 miles, that is awesome! You are definitely kickin butt. My miles have gotten off track because I'm focusing on strength training more. Need to find balance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not done one sit up in 2010, maybe that's why I haven't been losing any weight lately!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My own hubbend and I have discovered "My Fitness Pal", and I love it. You should check it out if you're inclined and have a minute. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I reply to comments in email. Email me at

journey . beyond . survival at gmail . com
if you'd like me to reply.

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

We got the moving truck rather unexpectedly. It's more expensive than Mr. Survival planned, so we're doing a lot of lifting, cardio, and squats. No. We're not doing the bootcamp in a trailer. We ARE moving things to the new garage, since we can't move in yet, but they're being kind enough to let us dump in a storage manner. Sorry. I'll have to beg your forgiveness and promise to update you. Eventually.

I Found True Happiness

It feels like I've become a detached voice, writing but not feeling on this blog.  I'm living a lot of things that don't fit neatly into my bloggable ownership file. Even now, I've spent an hour with this tab open to write a new post and I've done absolutely everything else possible.  For once I can't put a finger on what I'm feeling.  I don't fit into any definable box. On one hand, I'm spending an hour in therapy with Chickadee and another hour round trip three times a week. Mr. Survival is fighting off unemployment blues. We cannot shake things up and have me go to work. I'm not going to go to FitBloggin'11 . But, on the other hand, Chickadee is STANDING in the stander for minutes instead of seconds! Chickadee is grasping things momentarily for the first time in eighteen months. I'm so in love with Mr. Survival it's unbelievable. We are tighter as a family than we ever have been. I'm stressed and frustrated.  I...

Flying With Concrete

Today I wanted to write about my dreams. Full of hope and bliss and fulfillment. Yeah, I sound about as light as a bucket of cement. Ready to fly away. Hang on, while I toss out the top of the pile. Maybe that will help me find my lofty aspirations. Nope. Thing is, I'm remembering today that I'm afraid of heights. Really. Once Hubbend made me climb up three stories of scaffolding. Broke it all down for me and left me no other choice. Made me feel irreplaceable. Yes, we must remember that I am crazy friends. Leave it to me to feel important by being told to go up a towering structure of death. I did it though. And I even wired a speaker while I was up there. But I'm still afraid of heights. So. Do you wanna help me out today? For every comment that tells me something someone wants to be able to do that they can't do now I will do one minute of exercise. Really. Because of my child care situation, it will have to be tomorrow morning. So have at it. ...